It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 am

PoisonTail's Dropstuff P&M Thread (Shaltari/Magnetizing)

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

PoisonTail

Re: PoisonTail's Dropstuff P&M Thread (UFO Hedgehogs Imminen

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm

He's now registering on the forum as Badaya - so I'll let him share more details as they come available.

His recipe is
Vallejo German grey as a basecoat,
Black lining with Vallejo Model Wash Dark Grey,
and a light dry-brush with Vallejo London grey.

Windshields are pretty much just black with a glossy finish (artificials reflections were eaten up by real ones from light sources).
Check out my hobby blog! https://poisontail.wordpress.com/

PoisonTail

Re: PoisonTail's Dropstuff P&M Thread (UFO Hedgehogs Imminen

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

I just wrote up how I magnetized my Shaltari Dropfleet guns for those interested:

Its all here on my blog (LINK).

Best,

PoisonTail

PoisonTail

Re: PoisonTail's Dropstuff P&M Thread (Shaltari/Magnetizing)

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Here's the start of my Shaltari Dropfleet painted up:

Still waiting for the widgets and stands, before I move on.

Kelbesq

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Nice work! I especially like the blending. What technique did you use? I've tried some wet blending between yellow and red with good results, but I am not sure I am good enough with it yet to start painting a fleet =p.

Do you mind listing the colors you used?

Purple is my go-to color if I need an arbitrary fleet/highlight color as it's my SO's favorite color. I've toyed with using a purple over yellow, as I've primed a few test parts yellow already. I wasn't really able to blend it well, and didn't really like the results. But I really like the darker colors with yellow dots OR lighter colors with blue/purple dots.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 am

Very pretty!

I like the contrast of the green on the purple, especially on those frigates!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Akdakkar

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Beautiful work.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Looks great! Are they all the same colour and just the lighting making the ships look different? If they are the same its great as is but I kinda like how each one is slightly different looking in the pictures.

PoisonTail

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:06 am

Kelbesq wrote:Nice work! I especially like the blending. What technique did you use? I've tried some wet blending between yellow and red with good results, but I am not sure I am good enough with it yet to start painting a fleet =p.

Do you mind listing the colors you used?

Purple is my go-to color if I need an arbitrary fleet/highlight color as it's my SO's favorite color. I've toyed with using a purple over yellow, as I've primed a few test parts yellow already. I wasn't really able to blend it well, and didn't really like the results. But I really like the darker colors with yellow dots OR lighter colors with blue/purple dots.
Thanks! It's actually not so much blending and more overbrushing with thin layers of non-opaque paint. This gives the same effect but with fewer colours, especially on a textured model as the Shaltari are. Key is also a soft drybrush with thin hairs and a smooth undercoat (brush on primer). This way you can quite easily get transitions between any colour. Blending, on the other hand, tends to go via brown if you are working with opposite colours.

This is a mix of Vallejo (Va) and GW. I start with Vallejo brush-on black primer. For Blues I go (Va) Prussian Blue followed by medium blue. With thin layers I can get a few levels out of these two. For the magenta/pruple I go GW Liche Purple (OOP) followed by Warlock Pruple (Magenta) (OOP). The green is GW Caliban Green -> Warpstone Glow -> Moot Green. Dapples on the green is (Va) Flat Yellow and the dots on the Hull is Enchanted Gold (GW).

No shades were spilt during the painting of these models. ('Cause they weren't used.)
J.D. Welch wrote:Very pretty!
I like the contrast of the green on the purple, especially on those frigates!
Akdakkar wrote:Beautiful work.
Thanks! This colour trio works really, well, magenta and quite yellowish green.
Cry of the Wind wrote:Looks great! Are they all the same colour and just the lighting making the ships look different? If they are the same its great as is but I kinda like how each one is slightly different looking in the pictures.
Thank you! They are all the same I hope. The Jet is photographed in my desk light. And the rest on my coffee table, only in different kinds of daylight. I think I have a good set up now, and as soon as I get some gates done, and those gorram stands and widgets I'll do a group shot. :)

Nodri

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 am

I gotta give you some serious credit man.

There was zero doubt in my mind that you'd used an airbrush for at least the violet to blue blending (and maybe for the green with some creative masking) and then finished off the details with a hairy stick. I then read your latest comment and realized I'd been duped. The fact that you did this all with a brush is a clear demonstration of some serious skill and patience.

Respect. 8-)
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 6:00 am

"Hairy stick." Lol...

But, yeah, I'd assumed it was airbrushed, too. Even more awesome now!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials