It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:54 am

Worldwide Rankings for Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander

Find out about the latest Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander events
  • Author

Egge

Re: Worldwide Rankings for Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:28 pm

ZombieState wrote:I disagree with discounting old tournament scores, especially if you are going to be counting them from within the last year. What is the difference between having them count only for the last year or for the last three?

I agree on having a rolling table, but only if there is a separate list which includes all historical tournaments also.
The difference is on how long you want to keep old players in the ranking. In the swedish 40k rankings it would have been pretty boring to have a ranking where the top 50 are people who haven't touched the game for some years. A one year limit keeps the list fresh and people need to keep playing to stay on top. But I would suggest 18 months. We also saw that people played more if they needed to keep it a bit fresh instead of being able to rely on not current skill. So it was a balance. The swedish 40k set the limit to 18 months and best 6 tournament-value points.

Where I can agree it is cool to see a total sum that only tells people who have played the most. We do have it in the 40k ranking here but it is very few that actually use it. The current ranking is usually the most interesting in it.

ZombieState

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Well as mentioned, I'm on board for a rolling list as long as there is an all time list as well. If I'm to be honest with myself, it would bother me to not be noted for my accomplishments in a system which is meant to do exactly that.

Or perhaps I just get on with my life and stop worrying about a game. Probably that one.
Orbital Bombardment

Visit the blog and podcast! http://www.dzcblog.blogspot.com
Email us at obteamdzc@gmail.com
Tweet and follow us at @OBDZC

Hawk Liam

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

ZombieState wrote:I disagree with discounting old tournament scores, especially if you are going to be counting them from within the last year. What is the difference between having them count only for the last year or for the last three?

I agree on having a rolling table, but only if there is a separate list which includes all historical tournaments also.

Postings of the historical achievements can be a thing, but currently we are prioritising the rolling table for now.
As we have just started to create this ranked listings we would be missing a lot of data from previous years which would make it slightly unfair. However going forward, every submitted tournament can be counted.

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 5:00 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:

Postings of the historical achievements can be a thing, but currently we are prioritising the rolling table for now.
As we have just started to create this ranked listings we would be missing a lot of data from previous years which would make it slightly unfair. However going forward, every submitted tournament can be counted.

I'd vote for a "decay" factor too... otherwise tables tend to go stale...

Novus

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 6:31 pm

A Grand Tournament should have a required attendance level rather than merely its location. Like the LVO is for 40k and the Best Coast Pairings tournament system, maybe Invasion should signal the end (or beginning) of the tournament season for that year rather than the most efficient way to score points. Seems like having only one GT in a specific location would slant the Best Player award toward players near that location.

That said, the DropXxxx Commander communities in the US sometimes have trouble scaring up more than 8 folks at a time, anyway. So the slant is going to happen no matter what. We need some community building help over here!
Last edited by Novus on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 pm

Novus wrote:
That said, the DropXxxx Commander communities in the US sometimes have trouble scaring up more than 8 folks at a time, anyway. So the slant is going to happen no matter what. We need to some community building help over here!

Same here on the continental Europe side....

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 5:26 am

+1
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 5:26 am

Skylifter-1000 wrote:Couldn't you do two rankings, like "2017 ranking" and "all-time ranking"? That way, new players get a shot at being up in this year's ranking immediately, and long time players can still see their overall spot.

+1
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Love the idea of a ranking system. It appeals to the competitive players.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Rocy7

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:The completed results should include:
-Player names
-Victory Points
-Kill Points
-Tournament Points
-Faction they played

If they do not have all of the above criteria please do not submit the results. We will need all the information to process peoples rankings fairly.

For submitting the final documents (Excel spreadsheet preferred) please email to talons@hawkwargames.com

So why your tournamnets pack do NOT NEED to note kill points? We do not write them because this was NOT needed by tournamnet pack. And we already have 2 tournamnets in my country. I have everything else except kill points.
PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments and Events