It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:07 am

Warboar Games DFC Tournament 18/02/2017 (BETA Command Cards)

Find out about the latest Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander events
  • Author

Hawk Liam

Re: Warboar Games DFC Tournament 18/02/2017 (BETA Command Ca

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 9:59 am

Here are the results for the Tournament. Well done to Talon Steven Piper for running the event.

Warboar DFC Tournament Results.jpg
Warboar DFC Tournament Results.jpg (205.04 KiB) Viewed 500 times

Droachmega

Hawk Talon

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 pm

It's nice to see Shaltari spread out a bit but I'm struggling with Scourge and the tournament scores are starting to back up their need of a boost.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:03 am

Interestingly, all of Jon Chaddock's games were vs Shaltari -- mirror matches. That's quite odd, and a look at all of their fleet lists would be helpful (even though we know that Jon spammed 21 Glass...).

So a key question is, how would Jon's list have fared vs any of the other factions?

There's no way to tell from these results whether lots of Glass are just particularly strong vs other Shaltari, or if they're as potent vs any/every other faction...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Nobody

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 am

J.D. Welch wrote:Interestingly, all of Jon Chaddock's games were vs Shaltari -- mirror matches. That's quite odd, and a look at all of their fleet lists would be helpful (even though we know that Jon spammed 21 Glass...).

So a key question is, how would Jon's list have fared vs any of the other factions?

There's no way to tell from these results whether lots of Glass are just particularly strong vs other Shaltari, or if they're as potent vs any/every other faction...

I couldn't imagine that a UCM laser light show fleet would do any better.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 am

Nobody wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:Interestingly, all of Jon Chaddock's games were vs Shaltari -- mirror matches. That's quite odd, and a look at all of their fleet lists would be helpful (even though we know that Jon spammed 21 Glass...).

I couldn't imagine that a UCM laser light show fleet would do any better.

True, but turrets might, since the more weapons you have to shoot with, the more corvettes you can remove with one Weapons Free action.

The trick to countering corvette spam, I think, is attrition as early as possible. The more DPs' worth of damage you do, the more they will suffer a direct loss of firepower, whereas the same number of DPs focused on a single cruiser just eliminates that one cruiser, if you see what I mean...

Point being, we don't know, from these results, how he would've done against any other faction and/or build, because he only faced other Shaltari, but all of those games were 20-0. That's revealing, in a way...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Droachmega

Hawk Talon

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 pm

One thing I really like about Dropzone is that you can't really spam a unit and at the moment some are really looking to take advantage of that restriction not being in Dropfleet. Yes there is some limitations within the required battlegroups but a list spamming corvettes should be that strong.

Tauwolf

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 am

Droachmega wrote:but a list spamming corvettes should be that strong.

Should or shouldn't be that strong? Just want to make sure you said what you were meaning to say. It's apparently very, very strong, so, many will be arguing that it shouldn't be.

Pretty disheartening to see a list like that dominate. :cry: Not good for the game.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 am

Tauwolf wrote:

Should or shouldn't be that strong? Just want to make sure you said what you were meaning to say. It's apparently very, very strong, so, many will be arguing that it shouldn't be.

Pretty disheartening to see a list like that dominate. :cry: Not good for the game.

I don't think you were around for it, but early in the game (before my time, which was at v1.1 of the Core rules) Wolverines were pretty broken in v1.0. Hawk caught wind of it due to their outlier sales figures. I suspect that after Warboar, Dave and James are working on how to tone down corvette spam.

Going into Warboar, Dave was very concerned about "missile frigate spam" -- Taipeis, Amethysts and Djinn. He was discussing ways to tone them down at LVO, but wanted to see for himself at Warboar -- apparently the scuttlebutt in that part of Englad was people taking an ungodly number of missile frigates. So now that he's seen such an outrageous record of three 20-0 games with the 21 Glass, I'm sure he's disturbed by that.

Expect some sort of corrective action, and I expect soon. I also suspect that it will be a subtle but profound change, nothing heavy handed...

Droachmega

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 am

Tauwolf wrote:

Woops! I meant shouldn't.

David Nunez

Hawk Talon

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:Here are the results for the Tournament. Well done to Talon Steven Piper for running the event.

Warboar DFC Tournament Results.jpg

Really curious on what the UCM lists looked like if anybody could help. All the local UCM players are getting repeatedly stomped and i'm trying to figure out their best "tactics" in list building to try and help em out. Mostly worried they are getting burnt out on repeat failures lately.
PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments and Events