4x Frigate - 140 pts

SR 13
Pathfinder Battlegroup
254 pts
Madrid
2x Cruiser - 158 pts

Jakarta
3x Aegis Frigate - 96 pts

Wow, a UCM list with nearly no killy outside of a group of Taipei's! Someone really wants those troops on the planet. How did the list do? Were the Lima's only there for the Toulon's? Seems like a waste/overkill

Tauwolf

Hawk Talon

Re: Toledo Dropfleet Tournament 2/25

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 am

Hawk Liam wrote:
Tauwolf wrote:Matt's UCM
Line Battlegroup
175 pts
San Francisco - 111pts

New Orleans
2x Strike Carrier - 64pts

Line Battlegroup
249 pts
San Francisco - 111pts

New Orleans
2x Strike Carrier - 64 pts

Lima
2x Frigate - 74 pts

Pathfinder Battlegroup
296 pts
Taipei
4x Missile Frigate - 156 pts

Toulon
4x Frigate - 140 pts

SR 13
Pathfinder Battlegroup
254 pts
Madrid
2x Cruiser - 158 pts

Jakarta
3x Aegis Frigate - 96 pts

Wow, a UCM list with nearly no killy outside of a group of Taipei's! Someone really wants those troops on the planet. How did the list do? Were the Lima's only there for the Toulon's? Seems like a waste/overkill

Haha, well, Matt won his second game, and actually got the bonus point for destroying more than 50% of his opponent's fleet in his third game (in a close losing effort).

I think if you look at the other lists (other than Tim's winning PHR list), you'll find most of them were right around the same "power level". My only means for putting boots on the ground were 4 Gargoyles, and I somehow managed to finish in second. Overall, the players and lists were surprisingly even (again, other than the winning player's list).

I think our local community has been pretty good so far about not succumbing to power creep. Once that begins to happen, I believe it tends to drive away players, and not many people want that. As long as everyone brings lists of around the same power level, all the games end up being fun and close. It's no fun to show up to play and realize the game was decided before the first dice were even rolled.

Every local meta is different, though. I'm pretty sure most of our local players (me included haha) will be getting our butts kicked at bigger events. :D

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Toledo Dropfleet Tournament 2/25

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 2:46 am

Tauwolf wrote:I think our local community has been pretty good so far about not succumbing to power creep. Once that begins to happen, I believe it tends to drive away players, and not many people want that. As long as everyone brings lists of around the same power level, all the games end up being fun and close. It's no fun to show up to play and realize the game was decided before the first dice were even rolled.

There's definitely something to be said for taking fun, fluffy, "Hey, I never get to use these units and I think they're cool" lists. But there's also nothing wrong with bringing a list designed to win to a competitive event, either.

We're having a combined Dropzone and Dropfleet Campaign Day tomorrow, and I fully expect to see some whacky stuff... But not so whacky as to completely toss out the possibility of winning, either. (It is a team event, and you don't want to let your teammate(s) down, but it's also intentionally a "fun", "non-competitive" event too -- aside from any game being a "competitive" event, by its very nature...)

But when we went to the LVO, we were loaded for bear. It was, after all, one of the few "major", Hawk-run events in the States, and we all wanted to win (my friends and I). ;)

Tauwolf wrote:Every local meta is different, though. I'm pretty sure most of our local players (me included haha) will be getting our butts kicked at bigger events. :D

Good, as long as we're clear on that! :lol:

Seriously, though, there's "Just want to get in a bunch of games" quality, "Wanting to win" good, "Power-gamer" good, and "Clubbing baby seals" dickhead levels. I can safely say that no one in our meta is a dickhead. :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
Previous

Return to Tournaments and Events