It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:02 pm

New player from Reading saying hello!

Introduce yourselves here!
  • Author

Spinny

New player from Reading saying hello!

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi everybody

Thought I would say hello as I have just managed to get enrolled onto the forum. I have decided to start a Shaltari army to keep me busy until Dropfleet is dispatched having bought into it at the Commodore level with the intention of getting a starter for each fleet. My Shaltari army purchasing may have gone slightly overboard in the last month as I seem to have nearly 3000 points worth of models sitting on my painting desk...

I am a long time Wargamer who has mostly played GW games (since the late 80's), although the only one of theirs I still play is 30k. I am looking forward to learning how to play both DZC and DFC, and once I have a usable force painted up I will start looking at the local clubs in or near Reading to find a group to teach me to play. Also once I start painting I will make a new topic about it to share with everybody.

That pretty much it for now, but I look forward to contibuting to the forum in the future. Many thanks!

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: New player from Reading saying hello!

PostSat Dec 12, 2015 9:49 am

Welcome mate! Shaltari are a fun, tricky army. You should be fine using them as an experienced wargamer.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Weidekuh

PostSat Dec 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Welcome fellow Shaltari!

Hardest thing to learn when playing DZC, especially Shaltari, is that shooting or killing as many enemies as possible is usually not the best way to win the game. If you play DZC like 40k, you will lose. A lot.
Positioning, making your different army assets work together and knowing when to kill exactly which enemy unit is the most important thing to learn.
Shaltari Gate technology and generally less raw firepower emphasize this fact even more. But it's a hell lot of fun! :)
Resistance & Shaltari

Spinny

PostSat Dec 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Cheers! Looking foward to giving them a go and seeing how they play. The not concentrating on killing seems like an interesting way to play.

turno_uk

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi Spinny!

Where do you play?

I'm only in Bracknell and frequently attend the wargames association of Reading club where there are several dzc players (and quite a few dfc backers)

Hope we can arrange a game sometime soon
My Blog: http://turnoswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

2016 games
DZC: P:14 W:4 L:8 D:2

Invasion 2016: 43/50

Spinny

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Hey Turno! Would definelty be up for a game once I have some paint on the models and will have to check out the Wargames Association (having lived here for two years it's about time!). I've played other games at Prometheum Games a few times, but would be interested in something a bit closer. Look forward to arranging a game!

turno_uk

Hawk Talon

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Spinny wrote:Hey Turno! Would definelty be up for a game once I have some paint on the models and will have to check out the Wargames Association (having lived here for two years it's about time!). I've played other games at Prometheum Games a few times, but would be interested in something a bit closer. Look forward to arranging a game!

Well as Prometheum is but a stones throw from my house I'm happy to go there as well.

Don't worry about paint, everyone knows unpainted models fair better ;-)

Drop me a message when you want a game, I'm a little busy up until feb practicing for Invasion2016 (DZC tournament) but after then I'm free. :)
My Blog: http://turnoswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

2016 games
DZC: P:14 W:4 L:8 D:2

Invasion 2016: 43/50

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 8:34 am

turno_uk wrote:...everyone knows unpainted models fair better ;-)

Heresy!!! Everyone knows that painted models play better, except the first time a squad is played after being freshly painted, in which case they fall flat on their faces! :lol:

But, yeah, generally no one will chastise or shun you if your models aren't painted. Can't speak for the fellas at W.A.R., but it's usually a personal preference. I like to build, play and paint, in that order, so most of my stuff gets some play time before it gets any paint applied to it. This also let's me prioritize what I paint, as I tend to go a little overboard with the acquiring and building... :oops:
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Simon

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 8:47 am

and you should definitely check out our tournament and open day at the end of January! We always have people that have only plaid a few games or even none at all come, so you wont feel out of place, plus everyone is very friendly and after a couple of games you will be learning and winning!

Spinny

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 9:12 am

Will definetly have to arrange a game for February, which should give me time to get a bit of the army painted. We should organise something a bit nearer the time, but I drive past Bracknell on my way home so it's pretty easy for me.

I will also try and pop along to the open day, not sure the Mrs will let me have two days off, but one is easily doable. Which day is the open day on, or is it both?
Next

Return to New Members