It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 am

Fresh Meat

Introduce yourselves here!
  • Author

Alan Davion

Fresh Meat

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Story of my life it seems. Always late to the party.

I first heard about Dropfleet a couple weeks ago, give or take a day or two thanks to the YoutTube channel "All Miniatures Great and Small" when he showed off the video assembling a UCM cruiser.

Well I'm absolute huge Sci-Fi nut so color me immediately interested.

I look up Dropfleet Commander, find the Hawk Wargames website, along with Dropzone Commander, and the Dropfleet Commander Kickstarter page. Well that interest takes a bit of a hit when I come to find out the campaign is over... Honestly that's not a huge deal as it'll be in stores or available via the web soon enough.

What really felt like a kick you-know-where to me was when I came across that awesome looking Atlantis Battlecruiser and I see "KS Exclusive". I was absolutely smitten with the look of that ship, particularly because it looks a lot like the Atlanta class light cruiser which I play a lot in the online game World of Warships.

Well, I can only hope that at some point in the future there's enough demand from the players that get the game via stores or online to bring back the Atlantis. In the meantime Dropfleet itself is still very interesting to me.

That all being said, a little about me.

I go by Alan Davion on most of the gaming websites I frequent, and if the name is any indication, I've been a Sci-Fi fan for a long time.

On the other hand though, I've only very recently gotten into actual table top gaming, mostly due to the fact that I suffer from a very debilitating medical condition, so naturally that can make it hard to do much of anything.

As is stands I've been completely unable to work for more than a year at this point... Quickly coming up on two years I think at this point. Still, I've been taking steps to try and remedy that in one fashion or another, so hopefully that pans out sometime soon.

In closing, I've got a few different table top games, which I'll probably get into more detail on in the "Other Games" section here. Hopefully maybe even find a few nearby players of said games.

That said, looking forward to getting to know everyone here. :D

WargameHub

Re: Fresh Meat

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 12:27 am

Always good to see another FedSuns player. I use the same icon on my Battlefield 4 profile so it shows the sunburst and sword on all my weapons and vehicles.

Did I miss where you were from? Been a long day.

gbprime

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 1:14 am

I don't suppose you play much Mechwarrior Online, Mr Davion? if so, see you on the Davion teamspeak comms. 8-)
- GBPrime

- I may not have gone where I intended to go,
- but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Alan Davion

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 4:23 am

WargameHub wrote:Always good to see another FedSuns player. I use the same icon on my Battlefield 4 profile so it shows the sunburst and sword on all my weapons and vehicles.

Did I miss where you were from? Been a long day.

I never actually posted it. Probably chalk that up to my medical condition acting up on and off today.

I'm Eastern US, Maine specifically, close to everywhere and nowhere at the same time. :roll:

gbprime wrote:I don't suppose you play much Mechwarrior Online, Mr Davion? if so, see you on the Davion teamspeak comms. 8-)

I have not touched MWO in... Got to be at least 6 months at this point, if not longer. No way for me to tell when the last time I logged in to the forums or the game without logging in and that over-writes the last login I'm pretty sure.

However I did just see the footage for MW5:Mercs, and the videos for the last couple patches by NGNG, so my interest has been piqued, but there's still a lot of stuff going on in that game that just utterly disappoints me.

So I'm stuck trying to decide whether I want to login to the game again or not.

Hawk Liam

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:49 am

Alan Davion wrote:What really felt like a kick you-know-where to me was when I came across that awesome looking Atlantis Battlecruiser and I see "KS Exclusive". I was absolutely smitten with the look of that ship, particularly because it looks a lot like the Atlanta class light cruiser which I play a lot in the online game World of Warships.

Well, I can only hope that at some point in the future there's enough demand from the players that get the game via stores or online to bring back the Atlantis. In the meantime Dropfleet itself is still very interesting to me.

Hi Alan,

The KS Exclusive Atlantis was just an exclusive sculpt. We will have a retail version called the Perth out next year which will no doubt be somewhat similar considering the weapons.

It is great to hear your recent interest in Dropfleet Commander :)

Alan Davion

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:Hi Alan,

The KS Exclusive Atlantis was just an exclusive sculpt. We will have a retail version called the Perth out next year which will no doubt be somewhat similar considering the weapons.

It is great to hear your recent interest in Dropfleet Commander :)

Thanks for that Liam, glad to hear it'll be available again.

I've had bad experiences with "exclusive" things in the past, it always ends with someone, somewhere, going "neener neener" and all that jazz, lording their "exclusive" stuff over those of us that didn't get it when it was available.

Suffice it to say I've long felt that "exclusive" stuff is a bad thing unless everyone gets a chance at it again if they missed the first time around.

WargameHub

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm in NH, west of Manchester. We have a few players around (and a New England Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander Facebook group). Only a few of us on it though as we are still trying to find other players. The new store (Midgard) in Derry, NH said they plan on DFC and DZC.

I like that they seem to be doing exclusive models but not exclusive profiles. So if we can't get that specific sculpt there will be another retail version with the same stats.

Alan Davion

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 6:07 pm

WargameHub wrote:I'm in NH, west of Manchester. We have a few players around (and a New England Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander Facebook group). Only a few of us on it though as we are still trying to find other players. The new store (Midgard) in Derry, NH said they plan on DFC and DZC.

I like that they seem to be doing exclusive models but not exclusive profiles. So if we can't get that specific sculpt there will be another retail version with the same stats.

There's a gaming store in one of the cities right near to me, though I haven't been there in a while due to my medical condition, so I don't know if they're carrying the game or not yet.

However, I've been feeling better lately, so I might take a trip out there sometime soon, see if they're carrying it.

If not, at some point I'll pick up a two player starter set and see about running some demos sometime.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Welcome! Battletech was my intro into tabletop gaming and Mechwarrior 2 my first real computer game! Always nice to see people reference it. Call it cliche but I was always a Jade Falcon fan myself.

Alan Davion

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 10:21 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:Welcome! Battletech was my intro into tabletop gaming and Mechwarrior 2 my first real computer game! Always nice to see people reference it. Call it cliche but I was always a Jade Falcon fan myself.

I can't remember if I got Mechwarrior 2 or Mercenaries first. I just know I got one for Christmas one year and the other the following year.

My brother and I a number of years back also got a handful of the old pewter Battletech miniatures, including a couple of the models that wold eventually be rendered Unseen thanks to HG and their BS.

The first tabletop game I was ever actually able to play was the somewhat recent Star Wars X-Wing miniatures game.

Much to my continued chagrin I backed Palladium Books Robotech Tactics game. :evil:

I also more recently backed Dream Pod 9's new plastic Heavy Gear miniatures.

I've not yet put together or painted anything from either of those games because I just plain don't have the space available to do so. A series of RL troubles have continued to push back the plans to reorganize a couple rooms in the house to allow me to have a little office/work/game room.

Sometime in early/mid 2017 I'm hoping we can get that back on track.
Next

Return to New Members