It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 am

Fresh Meat

Introduce yourselves here!
  • Author

WargameHub

Hawk Talon

Re: Fresh Meat

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 am

I feel old, my first game was in middle school and it was a modern naval game on Apple IIC

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Quick google shows Battlecruiser being a naval game of that era. 1987...I may have been in fresh diapers for that one :lol:

WargameHub

Hawk Talon

PostSat Dec 17, 2016 3:36 am

Looked it up. I think it was Strike Fleet, also 1987.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 8:30 am

My first computer game was "Star Trek" on a Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) "two-bit nibble" computer that took up a good portion of what had previously been a janitor's closet in my high school. You entered coordinates of where you wanted the Enterprise to go, and it printed out on green bar paper where you now were, and where the enemy Klingon ships were, and which had fired on you, and how much damage you'd taken since your last action. You had to "aim" your phasers with the coordinates of the Klingon ships, and hope that you entered the data fast enough to hit them before the DEC's internal clock "moved" them -- in other words, you had to aim where you thought they were going to be based on where they had been in previous print offs. Maddening!

This was in the late 1970's. Personal computers were a far-off dream. Friends played "Pong" and "Hockey" on Atari consoles hooked up to black-&-white TVs. We couldn't afford such luxuries.

I feel old now... But also know that I've lived through perhaps the most interesting 55 years mankind has ever known!

"To infinity! And beyond!"

:D

Welcome to the hobby, Mr. D! I hope you've made it to your FLGS! Best of luck to you!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 3:39 pm

Wow that is I guess a game haha. I may have played Mechwarrior 1 but was too little at the time to really say I was playing it. Mechwarrior 2 is the first game I really remember playing properly being 8 at the time.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 7:03 am

Cry of the Wind wrote:Wow that is I guess a game haha. I may have played Mechwarrior 1 but was too little at the time to really say I was playing it. Mechwarrior 2 is the first game I really remember playing properly being 8 at the time.

MechWarrior 2 is the only PC game (or video game, for that matter) that I ever really got into, and, boy, did I get into it! I had a fancy joystick and a programmable throttle for it. Really awesome! But then a new version of Windows came out, or something, and the throttle and stick wouldn't work. Also, wasn't that impressed by MechWarrior 3, and kinda lost interest.

But I loved building and running Mechs! Fun while it lasted. Turns out I like miniature games more, which is a good thing in the end -- my wife gripes enough about this hobby, if I had a bunch of obsolete video games, or was constantly paying for upgrades/content, she'd've gone really nuts... :P
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Haha we have gone totally off topic for welcoming Alan Davion but this is a fun trip down memory lane.

My mom doomed me to tabletop gaming through getting my dad the second book of the Jade Phoenix trilogy. He wanted to know the first book and how it ends so we went to the local game store to find it (place had minis/comics/novels) and we saw the Battletech boxed game. Was a little advanced for 7 year old me to fully play but we got into the quick rules well enough and I had one of the store owners teach me to paint (amazing for a Golden Demon winning painter slowly showing a little kid how to wash and drybrush!).

We then of course find the Mechwarrior game and then Mechwarrior 2 comes out and we get the joystick and throttle to play. Great bonding time with dad for sure!

Klarg1

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Alan Davion wrote:
WargameHub wrote:Always good to see another FedSuns player. I use the same icon on my Battlefield 4 profile so it shows the sunburst and sword on all my weapons and vehicles.

Did I miss where you were from? Been a long day.

I never actually posted it. Probably chalk that up to my medical condition acting up on and off today.

I'm Eastern US, Maine specifically, close to everywhere and nowhere at the same time. :roll:

It's not precisely close, but there area number of players here in Southern New England. (My group is centered around the Boston area.) We are not going to have much presence at CaptainCon this year, but we could always look into setting up an event in a place of mutual inconvenience some time. ;)
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com
Previous

Return to New Members