It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 am

Two new players in Colorado!

Introduce yourselves here!
  • Author

Slien

Two new players in Colorado!

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:47 am

Hello from Grand Junction, Colorado!

I tend to be a bit long winded but I hope that just helps you get to know me better. If my story bores you then skip the next two paragraphs for the shorter version. Let's get to it then!

I've been interested in wargames for about 16 years but never did get involved in one, I've watched plenty of battle reports of the GW games and Warmachine. I knew that eventually I'd get into something and I was about to break and get a small starter army of Orcs for 40k. But then something wonderful happened! I saw the demo of DZC on the Beasts of War youtube. I fell in love with it right then and there. The heavily dropship influenced battles and combined arms feel hooked me from that first video and I watched everything I could find on youtube. I knew I wanted to play DZC. I knew I wanted to paint DZC. I knew I would be buying into DZC. Then I talked to my FLGS and they said they wouldn't likely carry it, they carried GW stuff and Privateer Press. The owner loves miniatures games and he'd bought into plenty in the past that never took off so he plays it super safe now. I was momentarily defeated, I asked a few of the local wargamers and none of them knew anyone who played. I looked at the games my local community was playing and it just made me feel empty, I'd seen these games before, I may one day get into one of them but I've always looked at them and said "Someday, maybe..." and this day was no different.

Then I went to Gen Con 2016 and found the Hawk booth. They were showing off the studio painted DFC models in a glass case and those looked great but I already knew, it was DZC I wanted to see. Then, on the wall behind the demo tables. I finally got to see the DZC models in person! I was just looking at them raw, unpainted, in blisters on the wall. But that's when I knew, I was going to be getting this game! I would just have to convert someone to play it with.

When I got home I called my brother and told him to go watch the DZC youtube video I'd first seen and tell me what he thought. Long story short. We picked up the 2-Player starter and we're having a blast, I took the UCM and my bro took the Scourge. We love the fluff and the starter is great. We picked up the Reconquest: Phase 1 (v1.1) book off Amazon too though we haven't found anywhere in the US with Phase 2 in stock.

We've only played three times yet and we're ready to start expanding our forces. I must say the PHR intrigue me, I have a bit of a fascination with cyborgs and mechs. I haven't decided yet if I should expand my UCM (I do like them so far) first or if I should grab a PHR starter and give them a go? I guess I could just proxy PHR for a game but that just doesn't feel as good. My bro is certain he's a Scourge man all the way so he's already planning his next force expansions.

So, question for anyone who reads the new player posts... Should I buy into the army whose fluff intrigues me the most? Or should I expand my UCM a bit more before I decide? Eventually I'll probably have both and possibly Resistance too (Humans rule!) but where do you think is better to go from here. Expand? Or start fresh with the fluffy favorite? Or should I track down a copy of Phase 2 before I start buying other things?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: Two new players in Colorado!

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Welcome!

You don't need Phase 2 just yet for army planning, if you download FFoR which is linked here in the forums and on the normal Hawk site as well you can build a list using all elements. The story does get a lot more interesting in Phase 2 and Dropfleet Commander though so you will probably want to pick it up when you can anyway.

I would say grab a PHR starter if you are leaning that way. You'll get a much better idea of the faction that way without over committing one way or the other.

Slien

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 4:09 am

Thanks Cry of the Wind!

:shock: That FFoR program is excellent! Just what we needed! So glad I can pick up whatever units I want without worrying I won't have the stats. I'll still have to get Phase 2 at some point, probably whenever I make an order direct from Hawk as I haven't been able to find any stores (local or online) in the US that have it in stock.

I'll be picking up my PHR starter in the next few days (then waiting for shipping of course). Thanks for the tip, I'm trying to break my habit of having to buy literally all the things for any game I get into so the hesitation is mostly due to my inner completionist throwing a fit over starting into a new faction without fully exploring the one I've got.

Also, I have to say. I checked out your showcase pages. Great work there! You can definitely tell you've got a bit of experience painting!

I'm terribly slow at painting myself and don't have an airbrush (looking into getting one for DZC). My UCM have been fun to paint so far, trying to get a bit of a Star Wars Imperial feel to them so I went with an attempt at the old school TIE fighter color scheme. I've painted tons of stuff for Dungeons & Dragons over the years so I expected to have a fairly easy time of things painting here. Turns out painting tanks and dropships is a bit different from skin, scales, fur, cloaks and chainmail. I never realized before how messy my painting is when you put it on a smooth flat surface!

Anyway, thanks for the quick response! So excited to get involved with this community! I'll post some pics of a few of my painted models later tonight if I can get a decent picture at work (I monitor things at work... So that where most of my painting happens! :P )

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:20 am

Welcome!

When you get your PHR Starter Set, be sure to build two Ares and two Phobos -- skip the Menchit, and it's not worth trying to magnetize PHR walkers.

For both UCM and PHR (any faction, really), the best things to get next are:
  • Exotic Infantry (Sirens for PHR, Hazard Suits for UCM (skip Praetorians, and just don't even get into CQB with your Scourge buddy's Destroyers/Eviscerators, which he is likely to get)) and/or Scout Infantry (Valkyries for PHR, see below (Wolverines) for UCM)
  • Light dropships to move your Infantry around better/faster/farther (suggest 2 blisters)
  • A commander (in the case of PHR, I recommend the Zeus for starting out, and that means also getting a blister of Odins; for UCM I'd look into the Phoenix, but a Kodiak doesn't suck, it's just rather static)
  • Command Cards (which you will start using at 1,000 points and higher)
  • Wolverines for Scouts for UCM
  • Also for UCM, non-Legionnaire Troops isn't a bad idea, such as Flak Teams.
  • More AA -- for UCM, the Wolverines can contribute to AA, but Flak Teams are good, too, as is a Ferrum Drone Base, which is pretty standard fare for UCM; for PHR, definitely a blister of Helios!
  • Possibly a Heavy choice, and a dropship for them*
(* = One of the best ways to get more dropships is to buy a second Starter Set, which will give you more Standard units and Troops, too.)

There are very few straight up "bad" units, but you should avoid buying "one of everything", too.

Search here on the Forum for "German space magic" for an excellent primer by Lorn on PHR units and the basics of listbuilding...

Hope that helps!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Slien

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 8:44 am

Hello J.D.

Thanks! That does help a lot, I was looking at the Kodiak and some wolverines with ravens as my next UCM purchase (along with command cards). And I was looking at the Zeus for PHR though of course I'll try and get a game or two in with the starter before I get much anything for either force. I love all the cool techy tricks on the PHR walkers (Apollo and Erebos are too cool). I'm sure I'll be getting at least one squad of snipers for both armies at some point and definitely hazard suits for UCM, infantry with railguns? Sign me up!

And you're right on the money with the Destroyers/Eviscerators call, those were the first thing he pointed out that he wanted. I was figuring on maybe trying a flame unit or something as a counter for them but of course, we're both quite inexperienced and yet to buy anything beyond starters yet so that's likely a few months out.

That post about the PHR was excellent and I think it may have sealed the deal for me. In any game I always like the biggest, highest armor dude with the biggest hammer/axe/sword/cannon, if he's a bit slow that just makes it more intimidating as the enemy tries desperately to stop the inexorable advance. Yeah, I'm thinking PHR is my faction at heart.

Thanks again for the tips! Well met J.D.!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Don't worry about an airbrush if you haven't used one and are just getting it for DZC. Im ok at painting but what you are seeing in my showcases is 90% drybrushing and washes!

J.D. has some great advice there. One thing though, don't expect to kill destroyers with flame weapons. They are very tough to remove (do some testing with the some dice to see what I mean). Flamers are nice against many other targets though so don't ignore them but just look into maybe Sirens for attempting to deal with a Destroyer infestation...

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 6:48 am

CotW is right on the money about Destroyers and Flame! They just laugh it off. But Sirens give them a run for their money -- if you can dump a squad of Sirens and a squad of either Valkyries or even Immortals (but not Rifles) into the same CQB with a single squad of Destroyers, you're likely going to come out ahead.

For Flame, I highly recommend the Menchit A2 (it's in Reconquest: Phase 2) for the PHR. One squad of those is excellent. I run them with a 2-man squad of Phobos in a Njord (also R:P2), and they make a helluva team.

Also, Erebos are mighty cool, too. I suggest the B variant for the Manslayer gun (it's been FAQ'ed, so much better) for a little extra Flame threat.

For UCM, your only Flame option currently is the Fireblade, which is a good unit and a solid squad, but it's awefully difficult to work them into a 1,500 point list. At 2,000 points, however, I'd definitely take a squad of them (in a Condor, of course!).

Cheers, and Welcome to the Reconquest!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Slien

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I see what you're saying with the flame units... Those Destroyers are tough! Probably better to Siren up and throw actual buckets of dice at them :)

Yeah, I'm pretty inexperienced with washes, always kind of mixed/thinned/did my own thing with my paints up until recently when I was painting a whole bunch of the same thing and mixing my own super thin black paint that I finally actually bought a wash (GW Nuln Oil) and it worked perfect on my other project, seems a bit overkill so far on my dropzone though. Need more practice or possible to thin it out more before I apply it?

Here's a quick WIP of my Bear, Rapier and Condor. None of them are quite done but they're close. Also note picture taken with phone and in poor lighting so take it as you will.

WP_20170227_05_06_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20170227_05_06_43_Pro.jpg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 534 times

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 7:13 am

For Dropzone models, I thin Nuln Oil with Lahman Medium. Works great. Although now there's a new Nuln Oil variant that might work better, haven't picked up a brush in ages... Life is too crazy right now.

Also, a quick, light dry brush of the next brighter green (or even the same green) will really help. Just make sure you've got most of the paint off of your brush...

Hawk Liam

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 9:48 am

If you want to go for a realistic army green, then try something earthy as the drybrush. I use GW Ogryn Camo (I think its called) its more of a tan-yellow. I find just simply doing a base of green and then drybrushing a lighter green it can come out a little toy-ish.
Next

Return to New Members