It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 am

999pt UCM

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

Mike Mee

999pt UCM

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Hello all, I am currently writing two army list at 999pts, one for UCM and one for Scourge. Bouncing around idea's of what to buy, whist taking into consideration at what I already have. Also trying to put in cool units, think my UCM list is better than the Scourge list Here's what I have for UCM.

Standard Army
Skirmish: 999/999 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [999/999 pts]
    • Field Command [304 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak, Condor [139 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
    • Armored Formation [284 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [229 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor(+Missile Pods), 2x Bear [151 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [102 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: 999pt UCM

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 am

That actually looks pretty good, Mike.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

wario

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 5:35 am

Interesting list as you have only the ferrum and their drones as air support. Wolverines do not count as full AA in my opinion but it's good to have them. Maybe I would think of changing one Sabre Squad to Katana if you are encountering skimmers?

I do not see any advantage for a dropship on the Kodiak or Wolverines. If a mission allows you direct deployment than the Kodiak cannot be deployed and you don't get a shot in first round.
Regards,
Wario

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 6:51 am

Critical Locations are a thing, tho. So a Condor for a Kodiak makes more sense these days. More scenarios with CLs and FPs than Direct Deploy.

Besides, what's he going to do with 31 points?

Wolverine A's are fine supplemental AA at 999 points. It does give him a lot of Scouts, and no CV, but then again, only 999 points. They could exist without the Raven B's, especially since those don't have Missile Pods on them, and could act as backfield AA whilst the Drones press forwards...

So that's, what, 70+ points if he drops the boss's Condor, too? Wolverine B's for that? Dunno, I think the list is fine as it is, especially if he's working with the constraint of what he has in his collection...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Klarg1

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Well, the condor's points could, hypothetically, be spent on strapping missile pods to some of the other dropships, but I agree, that it's not at all clear that that would be any better.

At that point, it would really just come down to mission type, opponent, and play style.
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

Mike Mee

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't really plan on playing many games at 999pts(if any) These list are mainly something to work towards as almost everything extra I get will be used in games at higher points.

I forgot to change the Wolverines to the B versions, but like what Mr Welch said what would I spend the points on, maybe a missile ;-)

Nobody

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm

IIRC the 999 point list I use had a pair of flak teams for the second infantry choice so that may be a consideration. It also sports a Broadsword for "you're cute for thinking you're too far away to shoot" shenanigans.

Legionnaires are in that weird place where everybody has a bunch but rarely will you see more than 4 bases outside of starter level games because they just aren't that good.

Skylifter-1000

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

I would probably replace one squad of sabres with rapiers. Sabres are nice and all, but rapiers are so amazing, I would never not take them. You have the drones for AT work if you need them, but only the drones for AA is a little weak, in my opinion. The Kodiak can also help with AT now and then. So AA is really more important to take care of, I think.

Legionnaires are amazing, btw. For 80 points per squad you get your objective searchers with an actually decently quick transport. Yeah they don't do CQB, that's just not what they're for, really. But all the other factions either pay a lot more for a single squad of infantr, and/or have slower dropships, or no light dropships at all (Resistance). Just avoid CQB and they do their job really well.

Nobody

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 am

Skylifter-1000 wrote:I would probably replace one squad of sabres with rapiers. Sabres are nice and all, but rapiers are so amazing, I would never not take them. You have the drones for AT work if you need them, but only the drones for AA is a little weak, in my opinion. The Kodiak can also help with AT now and then. So AA is really more important to take care of, I think.

Legionnaires are amazing, btw. For 80 points per squad you get your objective searchers with an actually decently quick transport. Yeah they don't do CQB, that's just not what they're for, really. But all the other factions either pay a lot more for a single squad of infantr, and/or have slower dropships, or no light dropships at all (Resistance). Just avoid CQB and they do their job really well.

Their only job is searching. That's it.

They aren't a threat in CQB, they aren't a major threat in shooting.

You generally only take one or two minimum size squads for searching, and in clash and above Hazards can do that job better because they're better able to weather falling masonry hits at a slightly higher price tag.

Return to UCM - Army Lists and Tactics