It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 am


Scourge Homeworld

Invade and corrupt everything in your path
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Defaint_2k

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Scourge Homeworld

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 10:36 am

Spoiler alert Phase 2!

Since we know that the Scouge allready eliminated two other species which the shaltarii had throwen into their way, i am asking my self how many other species they had absorbed by themself?
And more importent are they a nomadic Species? Or are there other countless Scourge held systems unknown to Humanity?
For instance this is true . It could be possible that the Scourge have a huge Empire and Hummanity is only attacking a small part of it.
If this is not true did they attacked earth and the cradle worlds with their hole species ? Would be the right assumption i think in this case.
Are they some kind of hive collective with a queen or several queens or something similar?
Maybe only a small part of the Scourge are responsible for this part of the milkyway?

What do you think?
Offline
User avatar

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

  • Posts: 5215
  • Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:16 am
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ, USA

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostMon Nov 21, 2016 6:11 am

We really don't know, other than that Dave has stated that the Scourge are not a "hive mind", so no queen, as it were. However, Humanity is pretty spread out across the galaxy, having jumped around the galaxy randomly for some time before the Shaltai gifted them the Cradle Worlds, and had/have never encountered the Scourge anywhere else. This suggests that they are a nomadic group, but like so much in this Dropzone universe, we really don't know, until Dave decides to reveal things... ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
Offline

Neiloid

  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Or until Dave decides on things himself ;) no idea how much of the development is planned from the start versus adjusted with time, especially after looking through the wild speculations on the forums.

If Dave has said not a hive mind then I do get the impression of something similar, having no need for names and a lot of the fluff about them keeping away from large underground complexes suggests some high level of interconnectedness between individuals.

I got the impression that the Scourge did have a large force elsewhere, but that they may be engaged in their own conflict with the Shaltari or other unreleased factions so re-enforcements to the cradle worlds are not available at the moment, since there is already a large proportion of their fleet in UCM known regions. On that note maybe the other species that have been thrown at the Scourge are still clinging on, we might get a whole faction of Destroyers or whoever is spreading the white sphere around the galaxy...

What I keep coming back to is scourge origins. Naked scourge are physically very weak and integrating with a host is a slow and attention grabbing process, so it is not something that can be done without somewhere that is safe for a prolonged period of time, which makes me think that the scourge could not have evolved naturally. Leading me to the next step that they were originally developed as a weapon to slip into and undermine a civilisation before their masters appear and finish off a weakened target. Maybe the Scourge had other ideas and are now on their own, maybe they are still expendable forces for weakening opposition before a self preserving race steps in to claim new territory. The way Scourge occupy bodies also seems to fit quite neatly with the Shaltari tech to grow empty bodies to transfer themselves into...
Offline
User avatar

ElectricPaladin

  • Posts: 457
  • Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:31 pm
  • Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 8:34 pm

There's reason to believe that the Scourge are like locusts, consuming all of a planet's resources, then moving on. For all we know, they have no permanent homeworld, but have left a trail of planets, ruined and polluted, with small shattered Resistance-like populations of survivors. They seem to need new bodies faster than conventional reproduction can provide, even faster than their cloning technology can provide, which requires them to continually seek out new planets to invade and new populations to subvert.
Space Hedgehog
Offline
User avatar

ZombiePirate

  • Posts: 264
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am
  • Location: England

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

A potentially cliched origin for them would be that they were created as a weapon, a way to wipe out a threat (maybe even by the Shaltari or the sinister aliens wrecking cloaked ships in Jovian orbit). Then there's the "masters lost control" trope to cover there and then the Scourge got out.
Offline
User avatar

BlackLegion

  • Posts: 747
  • Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 pm
  • Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 pm

I wonder also why the Scourge don't build new spaceships apart of the scouting vessels. Do they only do this when they discover new prey?
Offline
User avatar

ElectricPaladin

  • Posts: 457
  • Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:31 pm
  • Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm

ZombiePirate wrote:A potentially cliched origin for them would be that they were created as a weapon, a way to wipe out a threat (maybe even by the Shaltari or the sinister aliens wrecking cloaked ships in Jovian orbit). Then there's the "masters lost control" trope to cover there and then the Scourge got out.


I still think it might turn out that the Shaltari invented the Scourge as a way to more easily enslave other sentients, but something went wrong. That would explain why the Shaltari are so keen to see the Scourge wiped out, both because they are a threat and because the Scourge's existence is an affront to their pride.
Space Hedgehog
Offline

Berjiz

  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

The wraiths in Stargate Atlantis are similair to scourge and scourge could potenially have developed in the same way. The weapon run amok approach feels a bit boring and stereotypical so would be nice if Hawk avoided it.
Offline

Maninblue

  • Posts: 182
  • Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:33 pm
  • Location: UK

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 pm

ElectricPaladin wrote:I still think it might turn out that the Shaltari invented the Scourge as a way to more easily enslave other sentients, but something went wrong. That would explain why the Shaltari are so keen to see the Scourge wiped out, both because they are a threat and because the Scourge's existence is an affront to their pride.

I think some unseen species enslaved the Scourge, but they learned how to escape control and rose up against their oppressors. The Scourge then vowed never to be enslaved again and, during a doctrinal dispute, split into two factions...
    One travelling clockwise through the galaxy taking over and ruling any species that may some day be a threat to them.
    The other travelling anticlockwise through the galaxy annihilating all life in their path.
One of the future factions is that other race of Scourge, who will do battle with the known variant in a war for control of a Precursor battlestation.

// Old school video game reference.
// I'll get my coat.
Dave 2 / Man in Blue
~ "Something he disagreed with ate him."
Offline
User avatar

ElectricPaladin

  • Posts: 457
  • Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:31 pm
  • Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Scourge Homeworld

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:03 am

Maninblue wrote:
ElectricPaladin wrote:I still think it might turn out that the Shaltari invented the Scourge as a way to more easily enslave other sentients, but something went wrong. That would explain why the Shaltari are so keen to see the Scourge wiped out, both because they are a threat and because the Scourge's existence is an affront to their pride.

I think some unseen species enslaved the Scourge, but they learned how to escape control and rose up against their oppressors. The Scourge then vowed never to be enslaved again and, during a doctrinal dispute, split into two factions...
    One travelling clockwise through the galaxy taking over and ruling any species that may some day be a threat to them.
    The other travelling anticlockwise through the galaxy annihilating all life in their path.
One of the future factions is that other race of Scourge, who will do battle with the known variant in a war for control of a Precursor battlestation.

// Old school video game reference.
// I'll get my coat.


When my buddy John finally gets an account here, you two should talk.
Space Hedgehog

Return to Scourge - Army Lists and Tactics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests