It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Best 1500 all-comers list you could think of?

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

Skylifter-1000

Best 1500 all-comers list you could think of?

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 7:43 am

Hey guys,

so while I am in the process of painting my rather randomly collected UCM, I am planning on how to get a good start with my soon to be second faction, PHR.

Now I probably want to collect only one single list of 1500 points of PHR, but since I have little gaming experience, I am not sure what to take. I like all the PHR units visually and fluffwise, so there is no preference and it all comes down to game effect.

So if you had to build a 1500 points all-comers list, what would it look like? There are no real restrictions, my meta isn't really existent yet, as I hope to help build a bit of a community where currently there are no massively active DzC players yet. I also don't have a preference regarding fast or slow PHR.

So what are your best list ideas?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Best 1500 all-comers list you could think of?

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 5:47 am

That's a tough question to answer, for any DzC faction, to be honest, because there are so many ways to build a 1,500 point list that can win and is fun.

For example, choice of command unit -- do you prefer the Odin with a bodyguard, the Nemesis, or the Hera with Guardians? I've used all three, and they're all effective, but what the rest of your list looks like will often be very different depending on which Commander you take.

Same with Infantry. Some folks swear by Rifle Teams as Troops, and count them towards their AT capabilities in that list. Personally I can't stand them, they've always failed miserably for me, so I never take them. Some people never leave home without Sirens, while others will only work them in if they have the points after taking everything else they think they need.

On the other hand, there are universally excellent units, like Valkyries, but how to transport them onto the table varies significantly from player to player, and based on points available -- do you prioritize taking Valks in Angelos, like I do? Or do you just take a Juno A2 for them and forget about that APC after the Girls have disembarked? Either way, you're likely to take at least one squad of Valkyries. Likewise, Helios are virtually a requirement.

So people can give you their favorite lists, but you'll get a wide variety of them, and I'd give you different lists based on different phases of the game that I've gone thru over the years.

Hope you see what I mean...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Skylifter-1000

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 6:07 am

Hey J.D., thanks for your answer!

I understand completely where you are coming from, and it would be a bad game if there was one 'perfect' list. That is not what I'm looking for, but just your current best list - what would you take to a tournament if there was one next weekend and your priority was winning, not trying out new stuff or anything else that might influence your list building.

Neverhaving played PHR, not even against them, makes it difficult for me to build a list that I will still be okay with once I finish buying and painting it, so basically I am looking for inspiration - or maybe that one list where I look at it and say 'yeah, that's what I'm gonna do!'.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 5:03 am

OK, when I can get on my laptop (tomorrow?) I'll jump on FFoR and give you the list I've been running most recently. It's the list that I won the LVO with this year.

Stay tuned...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Skylifter-1000

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:45 am

Cool, I'm very interested in seeing that.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 3:55 am

Oops. It's been a busy couple of days. Will try to get to this soon... :? Sorry...

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 am

You should be aware, however, that my list is very demo-heavy. That can tend to annoy people sometimes... :?

But I'll get it up on here soon... Eventually... Remind me again if too many days go by... Lots going on... :D

Skylifter-1000

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 4:59 am

I'll remind you.

In the meantime, tell me what you think of this:

PHR Step 3
Clash: 1500/1500 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [1500/1500 pts]
    • Hand of the Sphere [491 pts]
      • Hera Squad: Hera(Grand Vizier), Hera (Guardian), 2x Apollo-A [362 pts]
      • Sirens: 2x Sirens, Triton A1 [129 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [305 pts]
      • Battle Squad: Ares, Phobos, Neptune [145 pts]
      • Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [145 pts]
      • Battle Squad: Ares, Phobos, Neptune [145 pts]
    • Immortals [116 pts]
      • AM Rifle Team: 2x Immortal Longreach Team, Triton A1(+Miniguns) [116 pts]
    • Pegasus Group [308 pts]
      • Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, 2x Angelos [154 pts]
      • Valkyries: 2x Valkyries, 2x Angelos [154 pts]
    • Air Wing [135 pts]
      • Athena Squad: Athena [135 pts]

It's not actually meant as an ideal list, but one that is quick to build, as it includes most of the starter (minus the Immortals, as the plastics are shit anyway) and a high level commander, so it's pretty cheap (€-wise) and will quickly make it to the table, with chances of getting paint in a reasonable amount of time, too.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 am

I like that list.

I like the Ares/Phobos/Neptune combo a lot. You might even consider putting the second Battle Pantheon with the first and drop to just 5 battlegroups. I know that's not ideal, but that could let you actually kill something with the two Type 1 squads activating together. You could split the Valkyries up into separate BGs to keep it at 6, but I don't think that's a good alternative -- I've found that having all four Angelos shooting at a building together is much more effective. And don't forget that your Type 3's can shoot at a building the same turn, and that's a lot of firepower going into one building!

This is a lot like my own list, only I don't have the Athena or the Sirens. I love the Athena, but its just so unpredictable in the current form of FMs. But it can be a potent tool!

I also find that my lack of a Sirens is a problem for me sometimes, and wish I could work them in, but no luck there with everything else I've got/want to take.

I'd also suggest putting the Sirens in the same BG as the Valks. That way when you search for an objective, you get three tries at it in the same activation. Likewise, in games such as Careful Advance that feature Critical Locations, you'll want to rush the Rifle Team over to that CL ASAP, so they probably won't be searching for anything right off the bat. And you definitely want to be scoring on CLs as soon as possible!

So, looks good! (And takes the pressure off of me to get you mine!). ;)

Skylifter-1000

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 pm

The Athena is kind of a gamble, I know. I just think that I want to have one anyway, because it will simply be great when it does come on in turn 2 or even 1. Reducing by 1 BG to put the walkers together while keeping the Athena would make that gamble a lot bigger, though, I feel. Might start with only 4 BGs on the table. On the other hand, each one then really does pack a punch.

I had considered putting the Ares into one and the Phobos into the other BG - that way I have to AA blobs that'll actually shoot down a medium dropship, and an additional AT blob. But I can experiment with those options, the Command squad is pretty hard-hitting, too, and with the Angelos factored in, I think I can do AT pretty well, AA reasonably well.

Sirens with the Valkyries is a good idea, the Command squad won't probably go down in a hurry, so the 'at least two squads per BG' rule of thumb can probably be ignored there.

So about your list...
Next

Return to PHR - Army Lists and Tactics