It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Thunderstorm issues

Rise from the crumbled wastelands and ruined cities. Defend your ground
  • Author

spacemonkeymafia

Thunderstorm issues

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm having trouble getting much worth out of my Command Thunderstorm. The last few games (the only ones I've used it on), it hasn't done much except get shot up and maybe a little bit of building demo. For the points, I thought it might be able to do more but the limiting range combined with the physical limitations of the model means I usually can't ever threaten anything farther than my side of the board. If forced to start in a corner, I'm even more limited.

I see a lot of praise for it but at this point, it seems like it would be better to just drive an Alex on and save a lot of points. How are people using the 'Storm? We play with a bit of debris on the board and since the 'Storm doesn't fire from the actual gun mount points and only from the board, those debris pieces tend to block a lot of my sight lines and maneuverability (unless I want to burn turns destroying debris). I assume I haven't overlooked something and the 'Storm can't fire at the height of it's actual gun mounts (which would make more sense). I make sure that setups have wide enough movement lanes but we like 0.5" - 1" debris in our games as it usually offers some interesting tactical situations but I find it hoses this massive hovercraft (which can really only go over 0.25").

Thoughts? suggestions? Should I just sit in the back and demo buildings on my side for 6 turns or is there a way to really get this things points back and make it useful? Thanks!

Mike Mee

Re: Thunderstorm issues

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 6:38 pm

I quite enjoy the Thunderstorm, but it sounds like playing too much debris is limiting its movability. I use mine to kill enemy tanks, its good vs Armour 10 which my Hannibal's struggle against, also its demo capability is nice. I just try not to over extend it or let it get shot by too much stuff.

But in general try not to block it with either debris or your own models(I do this all the time....)

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:03 am

The debris is creating an unintended penalty for this superb command vehicle. Play some missions without debris or think carefully about where debris is on the board to ensure a fun and fair game.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

MajorMcNicol

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 am

Although I have yet to put mine on the field, my understanding is that one of the best features of the Thunderstorm is that it is more survivable than the Alexander. I have lost the Alexander in many games. It also unlocks the Warlord's Retinue, which I've heard good things about.

As for using it to commit damage, I am not so sure. The cannons are powerful, but it's not the most maneuverable platform, as you pointed out. My Alexander often fails to do significant damage with its weaponry, though, too.

Maybe the height of its guns will change in 2.0 :mrgreen:
instagram.com/whateverimsealingit

Wargaming Plog: https://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross.

Return to Resistance - Army Lists and Tactics