It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Santiagos

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

captain_shrapnel

Santiagos

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 12:09 am

Sooooo. Santiagos: yay or nay?

I'm not totally sold on them yet. Their role has been sold as a tool to target strike-carriers with. I've used them numerous times and never really had any success with them in that role or any other really. It seems to me your opponent can more reliably drop troops than you can destroy strike carriers. If they target other vettes they die quicker than my opps's, go against cruisers or frigates in orbit, they die pretty much instantly.

What are peoples' thoughts on them and corvettes in general?

Nicius

Re: Santiagos

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Well I have had some hit and misses with them. Going up against PHR strike carriers is a bit iffy, but if you bring at least 4 then you should reasonably be able to kill one off.
I use mine mainly for hunting corvettes first, and after that I start harassing enemy strike carriers.

Nobody

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure at this point the purpose of Santiagos is to stop enemy corvettes first, killing strike carriers second.

Stompzilla

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Nobody wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure at this point the purpose of Santiagos is to stop enemy corvettes first, killing strike carriers second.

+1

Suzume

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Especially given how bad the UCM troopship is, compared to the others.

It makes strike carriers a lot more appealing to UCM players in general, so you want to protect yours.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

Kozakh

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 2:42 pm

I like Santiagos very much, they are very solid ships. What they give UCM is flexibility, as they can fulfill a variety of roles. Hunting enemy strike carriers, killing other corvettes, even attack large ships. I've been playing recently with one group of 6 ships, and this formation was doing very well. Thing is, you need in general about 3 Santiagos to kill one non-PHR strike carrier in a round, or 2 Santiagos to kill other corvette. Having 6 in one group you can efficiently split fire between them, or combine them together and attack void ships. 18 4+ CAW shots are nothing to sniff at, but what makes them really shine is their speed, compared to usually slow UCM, as well as ability to hide in atmo.

Red Pendrigh

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 am

My usual target is voidgates, though I have been known to make high speed fly-bys of the enemy fleet for distraction.
There is also the necessity of flushing out Djinn.

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics