It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:15 am

999pt UCM Skirmish List

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

Big Mac

999pt UCM Skirmish List

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, behold my attempt at a 999pt list!

Normally I play against PHR (we have a rather limited meta) but will soon be attending a small, 999pt tournament. The missions will all be out of the rulebook. I have five games of experience, and from them this is my current thinking... I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Skirmish - 999pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR21 Vanguard battlegroup (418pts)
1 x Johannesburg/Atlantis - 205pts - H
+ UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M
1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR9 Line battlegroup (260pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (181pts)
3 x Taipei - 117pts - L

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (120pts)
4 x Santiago - 88pts - L
1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

Current reasoning/excuses/defences -

San Francisco-class Bulk Carriers have failed me every time, dying waaay too quickly. I think running seven Strike Carriers will be better in the long run.

The Johannesburg-class Battlecruiser brings firepower and Launch. Frankly, I need Launch against PHR, and as they have been my only opponents so far I've been happy with the performance. I don't think I'll be able to fit a second Seattle in and be able to drop to an Avalon, no matter how much I would want to.

The flagship group is huge (SR21), I realise this. The others are deliberately small, but potent, so I can try to control the initiative.

Running a Lima, New Cairos and the Jo'burg together seems strange to current thinking, given that the Batlecruiser wants Weapons Free while the Light Cruisers don't need it, but I favour putting them all together to keep the SR on the other four groups low. I'd love to hear thoughts on this as it is a little strange.

Thanks for reading,

George

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: 999pt UCM Skirmish List

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Your Vanguard BG won't really work. The Jo'burg definitely wants to go WF, while the New Cairos need to be able to Course Change at will.

I'd move the Taipei's and New Orleans to the Vanguard BG (if you can, might need to stick those NO's somewhere else -- it's been a while since I made a list), and make the New Cairos and Lima their own BG.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Kozakh

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 pm

I agree with J.D. - vanguard group is too top heavy and unwieldy. Atlantis wants to fly in straight line and use weapons free - think of it as of Moscow, with secondary weapon of bombers. It's not a fleet carrier, although it has same launch as Seattle. With New Cairos you want to have access to maneuverability orders, in order to be able to hide behind asteroids/debris and jump out with double turns. Obviously you won't be able to do both in same turn.

What is your plan for using this group anyway? I understand that you want to keep other groups SR low, but in this case you are sacrificing effectiveness of your most expensive and powerful group to improve performance of your Pathfinders. I'm really not sure it's worth it. I probably would've taken either Santiagos or Taipeis on this format, not both. Then you'll be able to group Seattle with Atlantis, keep New Cairos, Lima and one NO in separate group, fill one pathfinder with rest of strike carriers and dedicate second to fast attack craft. This would give you much more flexibility in your BG activation.

Red Pendrigh

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 am

Agree with the previous respondents, battlecruisers and light cruisers won't work well together.
There's a fair number of strike cruisers but I think they could be better disposed and you really are wasting the Santiago battlegroup, the New Cairos and Lima could well be better placed in that group.
As for San Franciscos, the question is 'how' (and then 'why') are you losing them?
Personally I place them in a battlegroup with a Jakarta and 3 Taipeis approaching on silent. That should drag my opponent into the teeth of the Taipeis.
Generally I find it best to force my opponent to make lots of decisions, the more he has to make the greater the odds of getting one wrong.
PHR probably do have the best carriers in the game, but trying to match them isn't a brilliant strategy.

Big Mac

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Rejigged...

Skirmish 2 - 999pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR17 Vanguard battlegroup (401pts)
1 x Johannesburg - 205pts - H
   + UCM Captain (20pts, 2AV)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR13 Line battlegroup (277pts)
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M
1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (181pts)
3 x Taipei - 117pts - L

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (120pts)
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L
2 x Santiago - 44pts - L
1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

New Cairo group cannot have the Santiagos in unless I drop to three (one group) or put the Lima elsewhere due to the size of the Groups.

Seattle and Jo'burg are together as they would normally be supporting each other anyway, and I'm really interested in keeping the other groups low in SR.

I don't know, I've gone in a different direction to the recommendations as I'm seeing a lot of different messages. What distribution would you recommend for the New Orleans?

I'm not really trying to beat the PHR at the ordnance game, just hold them off without investing in Jakartas at this low points value. Against other foes, all these launch assets will be a boon. I don't favour the Bulk Lander as my opponents always rush forward and I feel a San Francisco does not have the survivability to do the same. The Jakarta/Taipei squadron sounds interesting, but I like keeping the SR low to ensure I win initiative.

Red Pendrigh

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Whilst I can understand leaving the San Franciscos out at low points (If I am taking them I'll tend to take a minimum of 2 to force more decisions for my opponent) Jakartas appear frequently in my fleet, often being the Active Scan units before the fleets close. Of course I tend to be somewhat frigate heavy.

Kozakh

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Actually, if you are wary of PHR launch, Jakarta will do better for you than Lima, as it can also scan. Also, you can make a BG with 2x New Cairo, one Jakarta and one New Orlean. This will allow you to do a double scan turn one, and lash onto opponent from cover turn two (with course change order). Jakartas would help against launch, and single NO can then take over station or cluster in your rear.

I myself prefer to keep all NOs in one pathfinder group, but it's up to personal preference. Also, why are you so focused on making SR5 groups? In my experience, if opponent takes close action frigates, he takes them in a group of just 4, which will make them faster anyway. You'll probably beat 6-ship corvette group, but are those in your meta? An seriously powerful cruiser groups will probably be around 9-12 SR. Obviously, your meta can be different, thus the question.

thomas aagaard

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Kozakh wrote: Also, you can make a BG with 2x New Cairo, one Jakarta and one New Orlean. This will allow you to do a double scan turn one,

How do you double scan with this BG?

Only one ship in a BG can scan.

Shikatanai

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 pm

thomas aagaard wrote:
Kozakh wrote: Also, you can make a BG with 2x New Cairo, one Jakarta and one New Orlean. This will allow you to do a double scan turn one,

How do you double scan with this BG?

Only one ship in a BG can scan.

One ship in a Group can scan ;) so this group can potentially scan up to 3 times.

Red Pendrigh

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Though you tend to scan with the frigates rather than the cruisers to keep your signature manageable.
Next

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics