It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 pm


Card Tactics

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Shikatanai

  • Posts: 246
  • Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Red Pendrigh wrote:If you don`t have a Rio or Toulons in your fleet you won`t be able to use the card. Surely that is self explanatory, I`d lean towards the Toulons as you couldn`t plan on getting the card early.
You also have to account for the number of copies of particular cards in the deck, there`s at least 6 cards affecting the ground assets so the odds of such a card coming up aren`t all that long.
I do agree that playing on the basis of cards is a poor plan, but some players like to gamble... If they were then I`d expect a BB to boost the admiral(of the fleet) 6 cards per turn at the cost of a Vice Admiral.


Fleet != List. Your list building is not affected at all ;)

Then we basicly agree - the cards are something you can not rely on. As a tournament focused player gambling is not the plan :)
I hope Hawk will go a similar way as in DZC for the Cards...
Offline

Red Pendrigh

  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 pm

I take it you don't have the cards, I think that Espionage would likely wreck any card based plan, there are 4 of them in the deck so I`d be willing to put money on your opponent having one at some point in the game.
About half the cards are generic with the rest race specific, though even within that I think we share a good proportion with the PHR.
TBH the concept of building the fleet around the deck hadn`t occurred to me till I read the OP.
Of course with the Toulon card, you don`t want to write a list including all your Rio/Toulon models then have that card pop up.
Offline

Shikatanai

  • Posts: 246
  • Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Red Pendrigh wrote:I take it you don't have the cards, I think that Espionage would likely wreck any card based plan, there are 4 of them in the deck so I`d be willing to put money on your opponent having one at some point in the game.
About half the cards are generic with the rest race specific, though even within that I think we share a good proportion with the PHR.
TBH the concept of building the fleet around the deck hadn`t occurred to me till I read the OP.
Of course with the Toulon card, you don`t want to write a list including all your Rio/Toulon models then have that card pop up.


Building a list with Rios / Toulons did not come to my mind anyway... ;) so yeah - you should always have an additional Rio / 3 Toulons available.
Offline

Castro

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Card Tactics

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 2:03 am

I keep my admiral alive easily for 6 turns... put him in a New York... sit him about 8 inches off your table edge and laugh is anyone comes close enough for you to bomb the poop out of them ;)

Also Torpedo those that come in for hunt.... - I tend to keep a Jakarta with him for good measure
Offline

Shikatanai

  • Posts: 246
  • Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:12 am

Castro wrote:I keep my admiral alive easily for 6 turns... put him in a New York... sit him about 8 inches off your table edge and laugh is anyone comes close enough for you to bomb the poop out of them ;)

Also Torpedo those that come in for hunt.... - I tend to keep a Jakarta with him for good measure


Bad thing about that... you can both outrange the New York or just ignore it if it stays as far back as it won't contribute to the game as much as it should for its invest ;)
Keeping your Admiral alive and keeping your Admiral alive in a reasonable way without wasting ressources are two different things.
Offline

Kozakh

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 am
  • Location: Warsaw/Kyiv

Re: Card Tactics

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 am

Shikatanai wrote:Bad thing about that... you can both outrange the New York or just ignore it if it stays as far back as it won't contribute to the game as much as it should for its invest ;)
Keeping your Admiral alive and keeping your Admiral alive in a reasonable way without wasting ressources are two different things.


Well, out of all potential flagships, New York is probably the most survivable one. It can literally sit behind a rock (dense debris field), getting huge resistance to incoming fire while still being able to inflict reasonable damage with its bombers.
Berlin has to have an obstacle-free firing lane between it and targets, which works both ways, and Tokyo has to literally go into opponents face to be fully effective.
Offline

Lorn

Hawk Talon

  • Posts: 2450
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 11:44 am

@Kozakh

You are misusing a Battleship then, also you are overestimating the damage Torpedoes inflict.

It is fine if you want to rely on chance (Cards) and gamble, nothing wrong with that if you have fun doing so but it is a bit weird if you try to sell that as a valid competitive strategy. :?

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506
Offline

Red Pendrigh

  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Sounds like trying to play it as an Emperor Class from BFG.
Not convinced the mooch around your own deployment zone and spam bombers strategy works in DFC.
Offline

Kozakh

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 am
  • Location: Warsaw/Kyiv

Re: Card Tactics

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 4:02 pm

@Lorn
Misusing how? As UCM player, if I take battleship - I take it mainly to be a flagship for my Admiral. Meaning, I want to use cards a lot and, preferrably, through the whole game. I'm not doing this often, but I do from time to time. NY allows to use "reasonable" amount of it's firepower while staying in relative safety, which you can't really do with Berlin or Tokyo.
I don't see anything wrong in sitting behind a rock when playing against Shaltari or Scourge. It's better to loose 33% of bombers to debris than whole carrier in one round of shooting. Obviously I don't want to do this for whole game - mainly for first opening turns, when opposing firepower is the heaviest. And I consider secondary guns on NY just that - secondary guns. It's not like I'm loosing game-winning firepower by not firing them every turn.

Also, I didn't say a single word about torpedoes, why do you say that I "overestimate" them?
Offline

Red Pendrigh

  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Card Tactics

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 pm

So the only weapons you're using are the bombers? Given the short range of bombers in DFC wouldn't that potentially leave you with a rather expensive paperweight and the rest of your fleet getting mauled by an opponent with a free hand? :?
PreviousNext

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron