It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:16 am

Balanced starter fleet

With diplomacy and alien technology, annihilate everyone!
  • Author

Kelbesq

Balanced starter fleet

PostFri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm

I play DFC with several friends who enjoy the game but don't own sets of their own. These games have all been with starter fleets. So far I've been avoiding using the Shaltari starter fleet to show the game off to new players, as the extra drop capacity and Voidgates acting as defense batteries kind of warps the game. None of the other starter fleets can even drop on 3 clusters in beginner scenario. There is already a ~50 point advantage in the Shaltari favor in the start fleets.

What would balance it out? Dropping down to 2 Voidgates?
Maybe give the other factions a free 3rd strike carrier?
Even then, I feel like the Shaltari have a massive advantage in the ground game unless a player manages to take out the Emerald.

Another option would be to play Station assault, or reduce the size of the clusters so that the ground game has less impact on the score.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Balanced starter fleet

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 8:45 am

As you know, I'm addressing that issue by having 750 point lists as "Starter" sized games for all of the factions.

But, at strictly Starter Set sized games, it's definitely an issue, the imbalance of the Shaltari Starter Set. 750 smooths that out a bit... It requires a bit more of an investment, basically a second Starter Set (although my Scourge 750 lists require an additional frigate, no matter what I've tried, which is a bit frustrating, but can be handled by simply using an empty flight stand for that ninth frigate -- not the best solution, but most people will understand it in a "friendly game" situation. However, for demo games, that simply wouldn't do...).
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Kelbesq

Re: Balanced starter fleet

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 8:59 pm

I have enough ships that I will probably build out 750 point fleets for all 4 factions.

I am however, toying with the idea of doing a 1v2 scenario where I put a 1000pt Shaltari (or any other faction really) fleet vs 2 starter fleets. It's pretty common for me to be in a situation where I want to play a game with two other friends. 6 activations for the big fleet meshes pretty well with the 3x2 activation cards you get from the starter fleets.

Return to Shaltari - Fleet Lists and Tactics