It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 am

Onyx or 2 Ambers?

With diplomacy and alien technology, annihilate everyone!
  • Author

Rocy7

Onyx or 2 Ambers?

PostThu May 18, 2017 11:59 am

Two Ambers will sure have better firepower but I'm pretty sure that Onyx also have some advantages. I simply do not see them. So in which Onyx will be better that 2 Ambers? PD?

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: Onyx or 2 Ambers?

PostThu May 18, 2017 12:20 pm

The obvious one would be that 1 Onyx is cheaper then 2 Ambers, however if you compare 3 Ambers and 2 Onyx I fear unless you need the heavy slots and have no medium ones or something among those lines the Amber is better.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

Kemble

PostThu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm

The better comparison is 3 Ambers to 2 Onyx as the points cost is the same then. (330pts)

But statistically, they are exactly the same value for money offensively on a weapons free order. But the Amber offers more value for money on a standard action or other only shooting 1 gun profile.

Defensively I think the extra bodies is better so advantage Amber again for me.

For me the only advantage the Onyx has, is that if you didnt want to run a battleship or a battlecruiser as they are terrible. Then the Onyx is a good option to take a Vanguard with and get max battlegroups.

With that said, While I doubt I would start a list with an Onyx, I dont think its a negative to upgrade an Amber to an Onyx with left over points.

Stompzilla

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Ambers every tinge. Ask me a hard one next. :D

Honestly, Ambers are rude. :twisted:

Kelbesq

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Because 3x Ambers == 2x Onyx as far as point and weapons free output goes, you pretty much pick based on points:

1x Amber for 110
1x Onyx for 165
2x Amber for 220
1x Onyx 1x Amber for 275
3x Amber -OR- 2x Onyx for 330
1x Onyx 2x Amber for 385
etc

Edit: Ambers all day everyday if given the choice for the non-weapons free flexibility.

2x Topaz is the same firepower as a non-weapons free Amber, but costs less (74pts).
3x Topaz costs 1 more point that an Amber, and is midway between Amber standard orders and weapons free damage.
4x Topaz gets weapons free Amber damage output without going weapons free for more points (148pts).

Obviously hull point, SR, tonnage etc play a big role in picking your ships as well. But you can clearly see a design pattern emerging. Overall, Shaltari are pretty flexible when picking pure gunships.

Return to Shaltari - Fleet Lists and Tactics