It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:14 am

Looking for people in Seattle

This is a place for clubs to post their contact information as well as requests for games
  • Author

fiddlerboy

Re: Looking for people in Seattle

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Hello Seattle folks. I'll be moving to your town in about 2 months, and wanted to see how the scene has worked out over the last few months.

I'll be living somewhere around the University (housing not set yet).

If there isn't a Talon in Seattle proper, I might try to become one!

Nightwolf

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 3:27 am

UW? To my knowledge the player-base in Seattle proper is pretty thin. I've only briefly gotten into contact with a number of individuals there (and of those only one amounted to a game), but I've got a few folks in Bremerton (at Blue Sky; near the ferry terminal) playing now.

You are always welcome to come join us on Saturdays. Conversely I'm not against heading your way.

fiddlerboy

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 5:28 am

Yeah, I'm starting a job at UW in October. Guess I'll have to get working on recruiting players inside Seattle!

I'll try to take a ferry ride out to Bremerton sometime, once I'm settled in. I'll PM you in a few months.

Nightwolf

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 6:10 am

fiddlerboy wrote:Yeah, I'm starting a job at UW in October. Guess I'll have to get working on recruiting players inside Seattle!

I'll try to take a ferry ride out to Bremerton sometime, once I'm settled in. I'll PM you in a few months.

Sounds like a plan. It might also be worth it for you to check out the Dropzone Commander Community facebook page (if you use facebook). There was at least one individual belonging to it in the Seattle area who plays.

dagerg

PostMon Aug 10, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm still very interested in getting more into DzC. I haven't been able to connect with anyone yet (mostly my fault but having people close is important).

I live in Renton but work in downtown Seattle. It would not be hard for me to get to the U District some evening during the week. I can also meet near downtown Seattle say at Card Kingdom, etc.

I also host game days often 1x a month, if you're willing to travel to Renton!

Nightwolf

PostTue Aug 11, 2015 5:02 am

I know Renton pretty well and downtown Seattle is only a ferry ride away from The Blue Wizard. I would be up for a game some time.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Aug 15, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm currently a Talon in Phoenix (East Valley, but I cover all of PHX). I don't know if I'll be moving up to the Seattle area or not, I've just started job hunting, and 2 positions up there came up fast (Bellevue & Kirkland). I lived in Kirkland 20 years ago, and really like it up there, but I'm trying to stay in PHX if at all possible (we've been here 10 years, and my family would like to stay, as would I). I've built up a strong community here, and will be willing to do so again wherever I move to, as I love being a Talon.

I've had one technical interview so far for the Bellevue position, and waiting to hear what the next steps are. I've also had folks in LA and Orange County contact me about jobs out there, but I've lived there before and really don't want to go back to California. But in the end I need a good job, so who knows where I'll end up.

I just put up the topic on the General Discussion forum to get a read on what the gaming community is like in general in Seattle and the East Side. If there are gaming stores, that will give us a base to work from, whether they support DzC or not yet. If some do, that's great, so any info will be welcome.

I assume that I'll be heading up there for interviews at some point, and plan on dropping in to as many of the stores that are local to Bellevue as possible. So, please let me know names of stores and what cities they are in so I can coordinate my time...

Anyway, long explanation and in the end I might not end up moving up there, but right now that's where my brightest prospects are... We shall see... Having a good hobby community isn't the biggest deciding factor in which job I concentrate my efforts on getting, but it is A consideration... :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

dagerg

PostSun Aug 16, 2015 10:08 pm

J.D. - that's cool - hope your search goes well. I understand being torn - I would be too!

I'm in the tech industry in the Seattle area so if you'd like some support in looking around I'd be happy to help. We gamers gotta support one another!

I really like your blog - that's cool stuff. I'm just getting into DzC myself and haven't posted much on it (yet) but will be on my blog as well. I'd love to get some Seattle area batreps going!

What's Hawk's thoughts on something like a Seattle-specific Facebook page (eg: like "Dropzone Commander - Seattle Area")? Encourged? Frowned upon? I'm wondering if that's maybe an easier way to coordinate / communicate for a burgeoning Seattle area gaming group.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks, if these two opportunities don't pan out I'll ping you. I'm a Data Warehouse Architect, by the way, with over 30 years of data warehousing experience (I actually built the first true DW way back when).

As far as a FB page, go for it! There's a general one, but there are also local ones, so if you want to start up your own page, go for it. Hawk encourages any way to help build a community.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress with the job search, and if I will be heading up that way for a new job...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

dagerg

PostMon Aug 17, 2015 12:33 am

Awesome!

Let's use this page as a starting point:
https://www.facebook.com/dropzonecommanderseattlearea

Feel free to join it and start discussing Seattle area DzC!
PreviousNext

Return to Clubs