It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Arlington, Alexandria, DC

This is a place for clubs to post their contact information as well as requests for games
  • Author

Yvain

Arlington, Alexandria, DC

PostFri May 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Hey everyone,

I just moved to the area and I am looking to start getting some games in. I know Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn has some players, but that is pretty far from me and RT 7 was designed by morons.

There are a few stores in the area like Victory Comics in Falls Church or Eagle and Empire in Alexandria. I know there are a few players down between here and Woodbrigde, anyone want to start a meet up in the area?

IR77wolf

Re: Arlington, Alexandria, DC

PostSun May 07, 2017 11:30 pm

I am in this part of Virginia, and share your opinion of the routes to get to Ashburn. I know Eagle & Empire well, and I've been to Victory Games. There also is Guild Gaming in Woodbridge.

I have not played in quite some time (I have only a few Reconquest #1 units, none from the #2 book), so I am not up on the current rules, errata, etc. But I do have a decent amount of PHR and the Scourge half of the starter.

piperider361

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Yup, I used to run a bunch of stuff out of Huzzah, but understand that it is far for some. If you do find yourself in the area, I keep two tables of the Blotz terrain at the shop.

There is also a NOVA Dropzone/Dropfleet facebook group that used to see more action, but recently has been pretty silent. Our community has more or less dried up in terms of regular events and game nights, but I'd be happy to play a random game here and there!

There are a couple players inside the beltway that often play in peoples houses - the whole Ben/Chris Gobel, Sean Sarah, and that crew play if you touch base with any of them.

Yvain

PostSun May 14, 2017 11:44 pm

Well once I get more situated if you all want to get a few games in I am down. It would be nice to start a scene down here for easier gaming verse going all the way up to HH.

I have a UCM and Resistance Force and a UCM fleet just about ready.

IR77wolf

PostWed May 17, 2017 1:53 am

I have DZC only, no DFC as of yet. And I'm a noob once again at this, just fyi.

Yvain

PostThu May 18, 2017 2:23 am

No worries man.

I have been pretty busy lately, but things should calm down in a week or so.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:30 am

Are you anywhere near Chantilly, VA? There's an awesome game store there, or used to be, and it seemed like the kind of FLGS that had figured out how to stay in business through the years. Don't know if that's an option for you guys.

I found that store (can't remember its name!) years ago when I'd first gotten into Magic: the Gathering. I was in DC on business and had the night off. I found the store in the local Yellow Pages in my hotel room. It was a decent ride on the Metro to the end of that line, whatever it was, and then a short-ish cab ride to the store, which was in a decent strip mall in a nice area. If I'd had my own car it would've been much faster, I'm sure.

That's the first time I saw Warhamner 40K, or anything like it, and I was fascinated! It was a Tuesday night, and the store was pretty full, with people playing Magic, board games, 40K, and all kinds of stuff. I'd never seen anything like it! Back home, I got my Magic fix from a tiny local sports card shop that also happened to carry Magic; I never knew what a "real" FLGS was until I set foot in that shop in Chantilly. It was actually two "stores" worth of space, where they'd knocked out a good section of the wall that separated them. I remember that the strip mall was on a slight hill, such that I had to climb 3 or 4 steps to get from one half of the shop to the other.

I also remember that they had every release of Magic, back to Beta. That was back in the day when I only bought a few boosters at a time, and I remember the shelves behind the counter in the "upper" half of the store, lined with booster boxes of every kind (this was back in the day of Tempest block, if you know what that means). Amazing!

I had never seen a tabletop wargame until then, and I was fascinated at the idea that there was a hobby where you could build and paint cool models, and then play games with those models! This experience was the beginning of my long and pleasant journey into discovering my true self, that of a tabletop Wargamer!

Any way, memories... LOL.

It might be too far in the wrong direction for you guys, but I thought it was worth mentioning...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Yvain

PostThu May 18, 2017 10:21 am

Sounds like you are talking about Game Parlor. That place closed a year or two ago. I remember I went there a few times when I was out there in Leesburg. It was okay, but I understand that at the end they were charging a lot of using of tables and when WFB there were no other games people played there except magic.

Huzzah Hobby is really the place to go for that area. It just too far.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 19, 2017 6:02 am

Yvain wrote:Sounds like you are talking about Game Parlor. That place closed a year or two ago. I remember I went there a few times when I was out there in Leesburg. It was okay, but I understand that at the end they were charging a lot of using of tables and when WFB there were no other games people played there except magic.

Huzzah Hobby is really the place to go for that area. It just too far.

Well, that's a shame, but it was over 20 years ago that I was there. Still left an impression on me, about what a real FLGS could be. Eventually I got one in my (then) hometown, and that's where I switched from Magic to 40K. Then I had to move away.

Too bad Huzzah is too far away for you guys.

Since you're on the East Coast, maybe some of you have a basement in your house, and might be able to set up a gaming area? That way you could still get your game on, for a reasonable drive, and enjoy some suds while you're at it. :-D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

piperider361

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 19, 2017 7:12 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:Since you're on the East Coast, maybe some of you have a basement in your house, and might be able to set up a gaming area? That way you could still get your game on, for a reasonable drive, and enjoy some suds while you're at it. :-D

Happens at my house every week....but sadly, I live right next to Huzzah :lol:

Return to Clubs