It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Destroyer game changer

Discuss tactics and general fleet concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Destroyer game changer

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 pm

So if the Destroyer class is what many of us are hoping for in that it provides a way to engage atmosphere from low orbit effectively how do you think this will change your fleet list/battle plan?

Say a base line destroyer is 50pts, Hull 6, 4+ sv and can be expected to kill a New Orleans a turn from low orbit.

How would such a ship find its way into your lists and do you think that would address the common perception that strike carrier spam is the way to victory in most scenarios?

Personally I would take 2 of such ships and remove my Santiago and a New Orleans to do so in my UCM fleet. I don't feel as much pressure with my Scourge to do the same however. I think Nickar and Charybdis are more than capable of handling strike carrier spam at the moment in my experience.

Admiral JCJF

Re: Destroyer game changer

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm

It won't make much difference to me as a Scourge player I don't expect.

I'm already amongst the few who regularly run Chimera, and I think it'll make their place in my fleets more secure.

I do wonder if fast combat Frigates, as a response to Destroyers, might be an expected "evolution".
Why would we waste words on Prey?

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm

i see the Destroyer more like a bigger Frigate, its the size between a frigate and a cruiser like the battle cruiser is between a cruiser and a battleship. i.E. EVE Online

So its designed to kill multiple frigates or take a fight against one cruiser.

You all want a submarine hunter like WWII, for strike carriers, because... corvettes (subs by there own) are not good enough...

but since strike carriers as well are frigates the rolle a gave the Destroyer would fit as well.

I would for sure bring some destroyer, i always stuck to troopships, so its good for me anyway.

to counter destroyer, well yes bring lots of frigates, or launch assets. The light caliber of PHR will do the trick.

in the end much more interesting would be a tech ship like hull.
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Shikatanai

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:So if the Destroyer class is what many of us are hoping for in that it provides a way to engage atmosphere from low orbit effectively how do you think this will change your fleet list/battle plan?

Say a base line destroyer is 50pts, Hull 6, 4+ sv and can be expected to kill a New Orleans a turn from low orbit.

How would such a ship find its way into your lists and do you think that would address the common perception that strike carrier spam is the way to victory in most scenarios?

Personally I would take 2 of such ships and remove my Santiago and a New Orleans to do so in my UCM fleet. I don't feel as much pressure with my Scourge to do the same however. I think Nickar and Charybdis are more than capable of handling strike carrier spam at the moment in my experience.

I think it is hard to tell without knowing exactly how they are implement if they come with an anti atmosphere ability and how much they bring to the table elsewhere (e.g. holding crits which is why I would take some compared to Corvettes I guess, Damage in Orbit). It will be tough to find a spot where they are usable but not too strong... Hawk failed horribly with the Corvette approach they took imho as Corvettes are not taken because of their ability to control atmosphere but mainly for their huge output with high survivabilty in Orbit... AtA is just the cherry on top.
If one can reliably kill one strikecarrier per turn it would be nice but I'd give them some special rool to shoot into atmo on longer ranges to make it harder to kill those destroyers... otherwise the trade will most likely not be as favorable.
On the other hand I'd definetly rework Corvettes...

Both combined could be the opener for a lot of variety in listbuilding approaches.

Return to General Tactics and Fleet Building Ideas