It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:14 am

A question on what to get for full fleet fun

Discuss tactics and general fleet concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Brence

A question on what to get for full fleet fun

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 am

Heya guys,

We are thinking of getting a two player box (me and a mate) just wondering though. How much of a points value would that be?
Also what would one hypothetically expand with?

Abrusio

Re: A question on what to get for full fleet fun

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 am

Each starter fleet is roughly 550 pts

one Corvettes blister and another faction starter set box would be a good way to go to 1000 pts and even have a little flexibility. As for specific ships, I can't really say as it really depends of your play style !

Battleships seem only relevant at higher point levels (1250pts+).

Brence

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:37 am

Cool, I believe regular Tournament Size is about 1500 points? So small scale would start at 1000. Might persuade a buddy to pitch in to double up on starters and have about 1000 points a side straight off the bat. How playable is the 500/600 point starter game?

Dropzone Commander demo with a single starter was kinda Meh (to us). However openend up amazingly once we got 2x starters and extra's.

Abrusio

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 am

If you can get double starter set with a mate, that's the best deal you could get to get into the game for both of you !

I played a couple starter set 550pts games, we had fun trying the different ships and testing the rules but the fleets are quite small, so IMO to get the true feel of the game and the most fun, it requires to play at about 1000 pts and above (999pts it good for skirmish level games). Maybe 750pts games would be better to play the first games (and have a couple more ships).

Tournament seems to be 1250pts for the moment but it may change for 1500pts.

Brence

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 10:49 am

Aah great! Yes, the Dropzone Commader starterset was a great teach. However being kind-off wargaming veterans we where quick to get a grasp of the "full" experience.
So with 1000 Points covering the full rules set (apart from certain model interactions like Battleships etc.) I think we might have a good shopping cart :).

So 1250 is recommended size or just the current meta based on whats available?

Kelbesq

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Most people build 1250 fleets because that's the current tournament size. The original size was 1500, but the game times were running too long. 3 games at 3+ hours makes for a long day. Many people also build to 1500 as the thought is that once the game is out a little longer, and players are more familiar with it, tournaments will move back to 1500 points. The here have also been some optional rules proposed to speed up the game time.

999 is another common game size. You get the points of a 1000 point game (clash), but the rules of a skirmish game in terms of fleet building and scenario scaling. Most notable is that skirmish sized games don't allow battleships.

750 is also common, although less so than 999. It's just a little more than the starer set, and lets you build more well rounded fleets.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:02 am

We're starting an Escalation League this Saturday, and I've set the first level at 750 points (build up to that in the first 2 weeks, then play 750 point games while you build up to the next points level over the next 2 weeks). So first League Turn is 750, two weeks later it's 999, then two weeks later it's 1,250 and then 2 weeks after that it's 1,500 and we'll have a tournament.

I put together sample 750 point lists for each faction, and the best way to go is to start out with 2 Starter Fleet boxes. So if you and your mate are already splitting a 2-Player Starter Set, definitely just go ahead and get two 2-Player Starter Sets right out of the gates. That gives you each a Rulebook, an Activation Deck, are plenty of tokens for each of you. And it's an amazing deal! That gives you each 6 cruisers and 8 frigates.

I also recommend not building the suggested ships from the Starter Sets. You can, but before you do read thru the rules, and then check out DFList.com, which is a free fleet building website/app. It's very good, easy to learn the rules, and currently up to date with the latest Errata (January and May). Start by building 750 lists on DFList.com to get an idea of what you can do, knowing that you'll have 6 cruisers and 8 frigates to work with.

Here are the UCM and Scourge 750 list suggestions that I gave to the owner and manager of my FLGS where we'll be doing the Escalation League (the manager chose UCM, so the owner took Scourge):

--------------------------------------
Escalation League Demo - UCM 750 - 744pts
UCM - 3 launch assets

SR13 Vanguard battlegroup (268pts)
1 x Moscow - 163pts - H
3 x Toulon - 105pts - L

SR6 Line battlegroup (137pts)
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (211pts)
1 x Madrid - 79pts - M
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (128pts)
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
http://dflist.com/s/#/share/887f495877112

Escalation League Demo - Scourge 750 - #1 - 742pts
Scourge - 5 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (170pts)
1 x Shenlong - 170pts - H

SR10 Line battlegroup (245pts)
1 x Hydra - 140pts - M
1 x Chimera - 105pts - M

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (199pts)
3 x Djinn - 129pts - L
2 x Charybdis - 70pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (128pts)
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
http://dflist.com/s/#/share/6318495877087

The only problem with these lists is that the Scourge one requires a ninth frigate. I just couldn't get a balanced list to come out using just two frigate sprues (8 frigates). There's a number of ways to get around that, basically by simply proxying the ninth frigate by using a Dropzone flight stand, or, if you know you're going to go up to the higher points levels anyway, simply buy either a Scourge Starter Fleet box or a Scourge Frigate Pack when you get your two 2-Player Starter Sets. Or, take these lists as a starting point and change them around to suit your tastes. But these are both a good springboard to 999 points, and these 750 points give you a good spread of both fleets' capabilities, including the ability to Launch Bombers or Fighters, four Strike Carriers each for getting Armor on the ground, and Orbital Bombardment, plus some basic shooty stuff. With these two 750 lists, the UCM player does lose out on having a Troopship (San Francisco), so you could swap the Seattle for a San Fran and take an AV2 Admiral, and then the Scourge player could skip one Djinn and take an AV3 Admiral, and you can stick to the contents of just two 2-Player Starter Sets.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the game!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Return to General Tactics and Fleet Building Ideas