It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Max Battlegroups?

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Achiles625

Max Battlegroups?

PostSun May 21, 2017 7:49 pm

How important is it to have your maximum number of battlegroups?

Nobody

Re: Max Battlegroups?

PostSun May 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Fairly important, especially as you get closer to the upper limit on each army tier. You want to make sure you can answer every activation your opponent has (otherwise they get 2+ activations at the end of each turn, which allows for a lot of opportunity to remove objectives or clear focal points.

Tyris

PostSun May 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Also, the more Battlegroups you can split your fleet across, the lower their combined Tonnage ratings will be, and the further they can be spread over the table.
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 22, 2017 5:59 am

Tyris wrote:Also, the more Battlegroups you can split your fleet across, the lower their combined Tonnage ratings will be, and the further they can be spread over the table.

This is the Dropzone forum, bro, not Dropfleet... ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Tyris

PostMon May 22, 2017 8:51 pm

*cough, shuffle feet*
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

Achiles625

PostWed May 24, 2017 12:03 am

I try to get max battlegroups everytime, but It seems a lot more difficult to do with Resistance. Is Fragmentation just a worse version of Area/Blast? I can't see anything about it that makes it an improvement. contrary to what the rulebook says, fragmentation weapons do have a concussive blast. The fragmentation is usually added as a way to make a weapon more deadly against soft targets, not less. seems so counter intuitive to me that a giant barrel bomb is less destructive than a HE shell. IDK

Mike Mee

PostWed May 24, 2017 5:41 am

Achiles625 wrote:I try to get max battlegroups everytime, but It seems a lot more difficult to do with Resistance. Is Fragmentation just a worse version of Area/Blast? I can't see anything about it that makes it an improvement. contrary to what the rulebook says, fragmentation weapons do have a concussive blast. The fragmentation is usually added as a way to make a weapon more deadly against soft targets, not less. seems so counter intuitive to me that a giant barrel bomb is less destructive than a HE shell. IDK

Yeah, I normally find that I have a really weak battle group, normally just x2 free riders or somthing silly. I generally find that most of my point go into my infantry choices so you don't have many points to go around.

As to the Fragmentation rule, I have no idea ;) Not looked up yet.

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas