It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:04 am

Rolling Hot - Y u no flame?!

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Weidekuh

Re: Rolling Hot - Y u no flame?!

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 4:36 pm

I regularly use Flame Wagons and i'm very happy with them. They are cheap, very fast and have a huge threat range transported by a Kraken. Big AA screens usually makes it difficult to assault backfield objectives with (elite) infantry. This is where the Kraken shines. Now the enemy has either to divert anti-tank at my Flame Wagons/Kraken or his infantry gets burned. They can also push your opponent to make more mistakes, sinces there is suddenly a flame-threat in his backlines.

As an example, they where MVP in my last game against PHR. Immortal BBQ is yummy. Burned some off an objective and then some more off a focal point. Which resulted in him neither winning the focal point, nor being able to extracti the objective.
Resistance & Shaltari

DropzoneCommenter

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 7:42 am

I find the threat of flame to be almost better than the actual deployment of flame. I chased around some Immortals in a game this weekend with a Marauder full of Tormentors, just as a threat/promise of death as soon as they deigned to get out of their Triton. It totally worked, and I never fired a shot....which unfortunately happens a LOT to Tormentors.

As a Scourge player, I'm definitely interested in seeing what Support slot flame might look like alongside an infantry battlegroup. If attacking, you can roll up, flame a target building, then attack the survivors in CQB; if occupying, use the flame units as backup so when you are assaulted by a superior foe, you can fall back in the same turn, then flame the building before counter-attacking. Sure, the latter tactic is really only used if you're assured of losing the fight otherwise (who wants to reset their search rolls?), but it seems viable.
Check my biweekly blog on tactics, hobby, and fundamentals in DZC and DFC at dzcommenter.com!

chrisloomis13

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 3:05 am

Had a Scourge player use Tormentors to prevent my Braves from continuing to search for an objective. Mixed feelings as I was happy to see flame leveraged, but I was frustrated with the 2 incompetent Braves squad. Lost 3 of the bases before I gave up.
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

piperider361

Hawk Talon

PostWed Aug 12, 2015 11:29 am

DropzoneCommenter wrote:As a Scourge player, I'm definitely interested in seeing what Support slot flame might look like alongside an infantry battlegroup

Oh, huh, surprise surprise.

DropzoneCommenter

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 9:29 pm

piperider361 wrote:
DropzoneCommenter wrote:As a Scourge player, I'm definitely interested in seeing what Support slot flame might look like alongside an infantry battlegroup

Oh, huh, surprise surprise.

It was pure speculation on my part, but I'm happy we get not one but two assault/CQB supporting models in the Screamer / Raider combo....

My newest article is breaking down CQB with a deep tactical look, and one thing I realized in putting it together is that *every* army can now pair Flame units with infantry, which will allow a variety of new tactics when playing the aggressor. Here's the breakdown I've got currently by faction and battlegroup type:

• UCM (Legionnaire Corps battlegroup): Legionnaires in Bear APCs + Fireblade flame tanks
• UCM (Field Command battlegroup): Praetorians + Fireblade flame tanks
• Scourge (Warriors battlegroup): Scourge Warriors in Invader APCs + Screamer in Raider dropship
• Scourge (Occupation Patrol battlegroup): Destroyers/Eviscerators + Screamer in Raider dropship
• Scourge (Invasion Host battlegroup): Tormentor heavy grav tanks (with Razorworms) + Screamer in Raider dropship
• PHR (Battle Pantheon battlegroup): Menchit assault walkers + Angelos jetskimmers with Sirens
• Shaltari (Court of Elders battlegroup) Firstborns + Ghirial/Samurai
• Shaltari (Speartip battlegroup): Firstborns + Samurai
• Resistance (Resistance Band battlegroup): Resistance Fighters/Occupation Veterans + Flame Wagons
• Resistance – Allied (Resistance Band battlegroup): Marine Force Recon + Flame Wagons
• Resistance – Feral (Resistance Band battlegroup): Berserkers + Flame Wagons
Check my biweekly blog on tactics, hobby, and fundamentals in DZC and DFC at dzcommenter.com!

Gauntlet

PostSat Aug 15, 2015 4:39 am

I continually love my Fireblades. I've used them in my past 7 games (which is a LOT for me, I get a game in, probably once a month).

So granted, not a huge sample size... but I don't think I'll ever go to war without them. They are fast enough, durable enough, expendable enough, and they wipe out a squad reliably enough. Two bases of Free Riders in a building? GONE. Three bases of Scourge Warriors? NO PROBLEM. Some other crap? It will definitely be hurting.

I tend to put in a group with Raven based Legionaries, but now I'm experimenting with pairing them with Mortars/Flak teams. They act as forward/middle building deniers, and a sort of guardian for my backfield infantry teams. If activations go well for me, if some one jumps into my mortar's building, well, they will evacuate and the enemy gets some nice flame.

I'm also a big fan of the Tormentor/Razorworm combo, though, it is undeniable that the Tormentor chasis is flawed and too easily one-shotted. But still, the Razorworm's ability to be deployed generously is worth it.

eastern barbarian

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 11:34 am

Absolutely fantastic article and helped to convince my to take some fire wagons for the tournament and oh boy, I really didn't regret that decision!

Akdakkar

Hawk Talon

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 pm

Very good article ! I've been thinking about the same idea some time ago and I tried flame units in my list with very good results for a while now.

Usually I take 3 squads troops and a unit flame of some sort ; a raider most of the times; and almost always return its value.

BlackLegion

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 10:19 pm

I love my Tormentors <3 And my Raider too :twisted:

chrisloomis13

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Holy Necro, thanx guys. Ya'll make me feel like less a troll.
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini
Previous

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas