It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Solo or duo Jaguar

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

knightofkob

Solo or duo Jaguar

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi

Should I put my Jaguars in 2 seperate units in my Warfist Battle Group? It makes for more flexibility but is it Worth the risk of passing on a kill point?
Last edited by knightofkob on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisloomis13

Re: Solo or duo Jaguar

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Hey there,

Few things, first, Jaguar are heavy units and so I think you mistaken when you say Sword point and you meant Warfist.

Also, squads of units do not pass damage points (I think that is what you mean by kill points). If you opponent targets down 1 Jaguar and does 6 DP to it, those 2 extra DP do NOT carry over.

Lastly, to answer what I think the question is, most find it better to keep them separate to allow easier gate tricks. Moving Mass 3 tends to be easier than Mass 6.
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

knightofkob

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Sorry a little New to this and did not have my rule book handy. I ment kill Points and Warfist. Is there any particulary good reason to keep them in 1 unit other then to avoid giving away kill Points? As far as I know you can use both during the same activation.

chrisloomis13

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 2:34 pm

I should rephrase. I prefer to keep the Jaguar separate in Clash level games and below, but there are some pro's and cons to each.

Keeping them separate:
+greater flexibility in that they do not need to maintain coherency
+it's easier to gate 1 Mass-3 Jag than 2 (Total Mass 6)
-fills battlegroup quicker
-will block line of sight to each other

Keeping them in the same squad (note this is not the same as Battlegroup)
+allows for more space in their Battlegroup
+units may shoot through 1 unit in the same squad, also giving cover from return fire
-twice the mass, so twice the gate needed to move comparable values
-must maintain coherency

I prefer not to keep them in a squad, but I cannot say it's the best way as I've seen list that keep the Jaguars in 1 squad. Either way, as long as they are in the same battlegroup they will activate together.
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

Egge

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:04 pm

knightofkob wrote:Sorry a little New to this and did not have my rule book handy. I ment kill Points and Warfist. Is there any particulary good reason to keep them in 1 unit other then to avoid giving away kill Points? As far as I know you can use both during the same activation.

You give away exactly the same amount of Kill points. Kill points is based on units in DZC. 40k Unit = DZC Squad. 40k model = DZC Unit. So a little rethinking from 40k is needed (took me about a year).

So if you have a squad of two jaguars and the opponent kills of one the opponent will get KP for that single Jaguar.

So often there is a better idea to have Jaguars one and one as it is most flexible. The main reason to have them in the same squad is that the entire battlegroup is restricted in Squads. In 1000-1999pts games a Heavy battlegroup (Warfist) may have two squads. If you separate the Jaguars you have filled those two squads. If you take the Jaguars together you can for instance increase the battlegroup with a support choice.

It becomes interesting when you want a killing battlegroup so that you have a large activation potential to do massive damage.

I hope this clears it a bit.

knightofkob

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:30 pm

I will keep units of 1 then. Then I will have enough gate mass to get everything but my tarantulas and my Caiman in on turn 1. The Caiman I will drive in, and the Tarantulas range makes them better in round 2.

Stompzilla

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:39 pm

knightofkob wrote:I will keep units of 1 then. Then I will have enough gate mass to get everything but my tarantulas and my Caiman in on turn 1. The Caiman I will drive in, and the Tarantulas range makes them better in round 2.

Zing! Correct. :D

Grey Mage

PostSun Jul 26, 2015 7:20 am

Personally in Clash sized games I like putting them together for one reason- it lets me put a Dreamsnare in the support slot, and I always run them with a Dreamsnare.

YMMV.

Wenner69

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 10:29 pm

knightofkob wrote:I will keep units of 1 then. Then I will have enough gate mass to get everything but my tarantulas and my Caiman in on turn 1. The Caiman I will drive in, and the Tarantulas range makes them better in round 2.

Squad of 1. Unit is the model.

You want 2 squads with 1 unit in each.
Blessed by the white sphere

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas