It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Newbie Question about Fast Movers

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Knives

Newbie Question about Fast Movers

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Hello all I'm kinda new to this forum (and DZC in general only like 10 games under my belt) and couldn't find my answer with a quick search so I figured I would ask here. It seems that if your opponent brings a FM and you do not and instead take more AA, for example, you are at an immediate disadvantage. I was wondering if my outlook is correct or just skewed by my newness. Thanks for the help.

Ravager

Re: Newbie Question about Fast Movers

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 am

The advantage of FM is to strike anywhere, at any time.

The advantage of more AA is to create a larger bubble in which it becomes too risky to do so without losing the FM. In addition, more AA blocks off more of the field from other aerial units that are unable to soak damage—notably light dropships, and most gunships.

If your forces stay inside your AA bubble (and you don't fire with a few so you can reaction fire against his attack), using a FM against anything but an isolated squad becomes a suicide run (though sometimes the payoff is worth it, despite losing the FM).

yoink101

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 1:44 am

I almost always bring a fast mover because it forces my opponent to play defensively or risk loosing valuable assets. It's not a straight advantage necessarily, just like Ravager said. If you don't have one, but you keep everything inside your bubble, then you can protect everything from a fast mover pretty reliably. It does mean moving more slowly and turtling, which can limit your access to the rest of the board.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 6:24 am

It's a big debating point, Knives. FM are quite random. There is merit in taking FM but also in taking none.

I've tried PHR Athenas a few times. Huge fun but variable effectiveness. I prefer more ground units.

I personally aim for 3 AA squads in 1500 points. Not only as FM defense but also because there are more air heavy lists possible now.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Knives

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 3:36 pm

This all helped a lot with my outlook on FM's in general. I was just disliking the idea that I had to set aside points in every list for the FM, but now that I know I don't have to every time it makes things easier : D.

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas