It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 am

[DZCommenter] Command School 3: The Activation Game

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

DropzoneCommenter

[DZCommenter] Command School 3: The Activation Game

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 12:56 am

Hey Commanders!

Dropzone Commenter is back with the next article in our ongoing Command School series, this time covering tactics for using alternating activations to your greatest advantage. Check it out:

http://gamerati.com/command-school-part ... tion-game/

There are some references in the article to the earlier Command School articles, which you can find here:

Building a Balanced Army: http://gamerati.com/command-school-part ... -dzc-army/
Building Better Battlegroups: http://gamerati.com/command-school-part ... tlegroups/

I look forward to hearing what you think!
Check my biweekly blog on tactics, hobby, and fundamentals in DZC and DFC at dzcommenter.com!

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: [DZCommenter] Command School 3: The Activation Game

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 2:53 am

Really good.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Amitverse

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 8:51 am

Good article. It helps with the decision making process.

The moves/ counter-moves was interesting in that it highlighted something I wasn't consciously thinking about. I think I use my scourge in a very counter-moves way, with the speed and fire power the scourge have I tend to like to react to my opponent. I need to improve the moves aspect of my game, ask some questions of my opponent's army, rather then wait and see what questions they ask of me.

As a scourge player I am slowly learning to kerb my aggressive tendencies. I played a secure the flanks mission this week and had a squad of stalkers in a harbringer that spent the whole game hiding behind a building. My friend had his tomahawks, kukri and ocelot all on the focal point. Normally I would have charged in early and died in a blaze of glory. This time I waited till turn 6 and moved in to grab a victory point. It also meant I tied up his tomahawks and kukris.

Egge

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 10:11 am

Haven't read it yet but will do when I come home. Just wanted to mention that I really think you are doing a great job with the pictures!

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostFri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 am

Finally got to read this. Very good.

DropzoneCommenter

PostSat Nov 07, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks everyone! I always appreciate the feedback :)

Amitverse wrote:The moves/ counter-moves was interesting in that it highlighted something I wasn't consciously thinking about. I think I use my scourge in a very counter-moves way, with the speed and fire power the scourge have I tend to like to react to my opponent. I need to improve the moves aspect of my game, ask some questions of my opponent's army, rather then wait and see what questions they ask of me.

I feel you, my jellyfish-brother! Countermoves are much more tempting with Scourge, precisely because you have the speed to do so, and suffer so severely if you stick your head out at the wrong time. Hanging back is typically a good idea. However, Scourge Moves MUST be big - they are so exposed when they attack the only real defense is to ensure there's nothing that can effectively counterattack. This is why I never ever run squads of 3 Hunters anymore - it's all too easy to miss with just one shot and bang! you lose 2 out of 3 tanks in return.

The most effective type of Scourge Move is the mission move (swoop in and grab an objective/focal point or kill a crucial enemy unit), to pick off straggling units, or to smash utterly a single target (like sending 4 Reavers straight into the guns of a Ferrum to ensure it dies in one turn). Fortunately, as glass cannons those big risks generally yield big rewards.

As a scourge player I am slowly learning to kerb my aggressive tendencies. I played a secure the flanks mission this week and had a squad of stalkers in a harbringer that spent the whole game hiding behind a building. My friend had his tomahawks, kukri and ocelot all on the focal point. Normally I would have charged in early and died in a blaze of glory. This time I waited till turn 6 and moved in to grab a victory point. It also meant I tied up his tomahawks and kukris.

Sounds like you're getting there. The real trick with Scourge is not being aggressive - that's easy - it's knowing the RIGHT TIME to be aggressive.
Check my biweekly blog on tactics, hobby, and fundamentals in DZC and DFC at dzcommenter.com!

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas