It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:12 am

Dealing with Gun Wagons in Krakens

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

yoink101

Dealing with Gun Wagons in Krakens

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Of all of the unique and annoying tools that the Resistance bring to the table, there is nothing I loath more than seeing two squads of gun wagons mounted in Krakens.

Granted, if I played Resistance and had a handful of A6 4DP dropships flying around, I wouldn't worry very much about the Kraken. Until I get my PHR painted, I will not have their robustness going for me. As it stands now, I play Shaltari, and the Gun Wagons truly are the bane of my gates. Their threat range is unbelievable. On a 6x4 table with corner deployment zones, my opponent had a threat of half the table by turn two and everything except my little corner by turn three. Even playing my gates conservatively meant watching Krakens spew out their cargo after leaping out from behind that building two and a half feet away and then obliterating the poor little gate.

How do you deal with the Gun Wagon menace?

Stompzilla

Re: Dealing with Gun Wagons in Krakens

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 8:00 pm

There's a few things I do, depending on the situation.

1) Be patient and super cagey with my gates. I know the threat range of these guys and I stay out of it at all costs. Spending 3-4 turns on the defensive is not terribly bad for the Shaltari, especially given the abnormal threat range of a lot of our stuff. I can maneuver laterally and still be super slippery space aliens without coming too far onto the board. Meanwhile target that Kraken at every possible opportunity. Braves are great at wanging dps onto Krakens and absolutely murder deployed Gun wagons. I would imagine Ronin do a pretty good job too. If you are pinging away at his army, taking it apart a piece at a time, avoid casualties and you have clear skies, it's very easy to swing into offensive mode with Shaltari and really go at a depleted enemy in the later half of the game.

2) Bait Gate. Lure them out with a bait gate and then batter the living piss out of the wagons. You're likely going to lose a gate but sometimes it's worth it.

yoink101

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 5:08 am

Thanks Stomp! Part of my problem with the mission we played (JD's battlefield where the focal points are scored on turns 2, 4, and 6 and move 12" each time they are scored) was that I needed to be able to play aggressively to win the mission, but the Gun Wagons were such a threat that it was tough to find a balance. I'll try bringing more gates and using them as bait. Once they're out of the Kraken, the wagons drop pretty quickly to...anything.

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 am

Caiman spam comes to mind. :o

chrisloomis13

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 pm

The Wagons can't reaction fire while in the Kraken, meaning they don't hamper your movement during your activation at all. 18" of their 29" threat range is a straight line that needs LoS. I've found you can be reasonable close to them as long as there is intervening cover properly preventing them from getting LoS after their 11" move/deploy. If you have buildings A and B, such that B is south of A and the Kraken w/ Gun Wagons is on the north side of A, you can most likely hide successfully behind the south side of B (see text diagram below). You may need to go to the deck depending on height, but assuming A and B are not right on top of one another the Wagons have the choice of either holding or trying to advance, in which case the Kraken is exposed.

K
[_]

[_]
G
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

Stompzilla

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 8:55 pm

That is good advice!

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas