It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:25 am

Bridgehead Mission

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

darthgus

Bridgehead Mission

PostSat Jun 25, 2016 7:15 am

I'm playing the Bridgehead scenario tomorrow as the defender and that got me to thinking about how you go about building a defender army for this mission at 1,500pts. Though I'm playing PHR, I'm also interested to see recommendations for other forces too.

So ignoring the reserve part of the army for now, what would you place in your defence force (500pts) with the knowledge that you might not get your reserves until its to late.

Octavian Lars

Re: Bridgehead Mission

PostSat Jun 25, 2016 8:18 am

Just to chip in as his opposition who played defender last time as UCM:
I made a few bad choices and played badly, but I had:
Bridgehead Defense
Clash: 1487/1500 points
Bridgehead [Defender]
  • Defense Force [490/500 pts]
    No aircraft, No aerial transport
    • Field Command [275 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A [72 pts]
    • Armored Formation [111 pts]
      • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre [111 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [104 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires [52 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires [52 pts]

From what I found, the kodiak and wolverines were fantastic (even though we played the death laser without its new Small AoE). Due to the enemy hades though, my sabre squad was only able to get 2 (inefectual) shots off, though if i'd had more i think i could have been more effective. The legionnaires didn't do much except get shot at by every spare e7 weapon so i would advise against infantry in defence, at least if you're using ucm legionnaires, maybe support weapons like the AMR teams and Moratar/flak teams would be more use

Changes I would make: remove at least 1 squad of legionaires, maybe 2 and make room for a squad or rapier anti-air to swat incoming enemy dropships or more tanks (possibly katanas or just more sabres) to fight off the enemy horde until reserves arrive (note: wolverine A anti air is actually quite powerful, I took out an athena with it last game)

Given my experience, i'd probably be more likely to run this:

Defensive Army
Clash: 497/1500 points
Defensive Army
  • Defense Force [497/500 pts]
    No aircraft, No aerial transport
    • Field Command [275 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A [72 pts]
  • Reinforcements [0/1000 pts]
    Validation Errors
    • Reinforcements:Must have at least 1 Armor battlegroup
    • Reinforcements:Must have at least 1 Infantry battlegroup
    Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
    Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

darthgus

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 am

Thanks Octavian

Playing the Bridgehead as a PHR aggressor was fairly easy. I brought only a single unit of Immortals and focused on my spearhead in the form of a Hades flanked by Janus and Phobos for air defence. I have to say I do like the Hades, it has a good combination of fire weapons coupled with the Nano-hive, which is so very useful.

In the defence game, I dropped the Hades. With only 500 its on the board to start I had wanted to being a Command group of Zeus and Hyperions, but they just cost way to much. In the end I went for the Nemesis with a pair of Helios.

Though it took the UCM 5 turns to kill the Nemesis they did kill it, and I found it incapable of killing more than one enemy tank a turn. Very under whelming. Had I not had multiple copies of White Nanomachines and Weapon Hacks in my hand, I would have lost it several turn earlier. Don't think I'd rush to take the Nemesis on to the field again.

The Helios were great! Proving mobility and significant air defence, the hook out an enemy Eagle on turn 2 and a Serephan on turn 3 and put a lot of hurt on an Albatros. Plus they provide a great deal of threat. My 6 Phobos that arrived on turn 2 on the other hand where destroyed over several turns by orbital bombardment and mortars and proved mostly inneffective.

I would like to see the PHR get a tank option to replace the standard walkers of a Battle Pantheon... I can dream right?

Octavian Lars

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 7:34 am

No problem, it was a wonderful game.
    My conclusions were pretty similar, Helios are a very good unit, probably useful as an anti skimmer unit also. If I get a few rum I'm going to have to watch out I think. Though I think it was an archangel you killed on turn 4 and the Eagle on turn 3?
    The nemesis had many issues,mostly not enough firepower for the size of target painted in its back.

For ucm I found the gladius to be the stars once they got going, the weapons hack was a pain, but when they did fire, it generally hurt a lot. Playing as aggressor was a lot easier at least from a planning perspective though achieving victory was harder I think.

I also proxied in an eagle which though I used it very badly has a lot of potential for pain once enemy aa is neutralised, much like the falcons
    I also think I'll be using the seraphim retaliator more now, that e 10 barrage is dangerous
    Similar story with the infantry mortar teams, they require a bit more luck, but there's a good chance of doing damage with the shaped charge.

The sabre tanks also proved very effective en masse (6-9) in my opinion,you need to deploy 6 at once to be effective, otherwise they get picked off before they can level the firepower at the enemy.

Also the kodiak really benefits from the new small blast rule making it much more useful.
    Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
    Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 am

Personally, I prefer the Nemesis, but if you're just starting out a Zeus and a Hyperion in a Neptune is a solid choice. Watch out for Ocelots, though, as the Zeus' awesome 3+ passive save means naught against them. Keep trying the Nemesis; it takes a bit of getting used to, and you do have to anticipate that it will eventually die to an opponent dedicated to assassinating it. Plus, a Kodiak with eyes on a Nemesis is very good at taking it out, so that could be a regular problem for you if you're mostly playing against UCM... Keeping a Hades within 18" helps keep them both alive longer, and gives your opponent choices about which to concentrate on -- he's not likely to take both of them out before you can get some Apollos back there to snipe out his Kodiak. Running two Type 4s takes some getting used to, tho, as they take up so many points. If the Nemesis isn't in range to use its railguns, shoot at a building until they are...

On the UCM side, if you're mostly playing vs PHR, keep your Eagle away from Phobos! They have exactly the same range as your Eagle, so if it can shoot them, they can shoot it, and it's only a Condor chassis, so one Phobos with a bead on it is likely to take it out in one turn of shooting, and two will for sure. Also, I prefer Katanas to Sabres, and the Katanas don't need a Condor, as they have Mv 6". Just shoot them (and the Eagle) at a key building until they get into 18" range of armor to shoot at. However, if you use a lot of low cover on your tables, like abandonded cars or fences/hedgerows, Sabres rock. You're right, tho, a blob of 6 is better than just 3, and they do need Condors.

Back on the PHR side, you can always take a single walk-on Phobos as your Battle Pantheon requirement, you don't need to max out on them. But you should take some, they are solid, but so are the Helios, they just have different roles to fulfill.

Hope you're having fun with the game!
    I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas