It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Lets talk about Phase 2 knowledge bombs, SPOILERS

Discuss all things related to the Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander background
  • Author

samspace

Hawk Talon

Re: Lets talk about Phase 2 knowledge bombs, SPOILERS

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 7:53 pm

I can't believe I missed those pages. That was the best part of the whole book!

Creeping Dementia

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 am

samspace wrote:I can't believe I missed those pages. That was the best part of the whole book!

Yeah hearing about all the different theaters of war was good, but most of it was just a logical continuation of Phase 1. UCM advance being slowed by the grind, Scourge redeploying forces, Shaltari being annoying, etc. Except for the PHR committing to taking a system and Salakan going all 'captain destructo', there wasn't much twist in the narrative... Until the last few pages.

It will be interesting to see what the Dropfleet book tells us. I'm getting the feeling that the Ferrum system will make the space battles over Olympus look tame, with only partial ground invasion success for the Scourge (like a city or two), which interestingly might pave the way for a UCM citizen Resistance force to keep 'the Resistance' as a faction involved in all theaters in Phase 3. Keep in mind the Scourge still need hosts so nuking everything isn't a constructive option for them. I have no clue what the Shaltari and PHR are going to be up to though.

At some point you'd think the Shaltari forces would be more involved militarily, rather than just subtle manipulations. Right now they don't seem to have much of a presence in larger battles, just doesn't quite fit for a major faction in the game.

Nobody

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 5:01 am

Heh, I knew the Shaltari tossed Humanity in front of the Scourge (well, if the spokes-Scourge is to be believed).

I'm curious what's going on with the Shaltari, there's mention in their section that there are two tribal groups who are going to war with each other, but not a lot about why.

Also, we're missing quite a bit of the picture with the PHR and their motivations. Funny that the Scourge seemed to know more about what was behind the White Sphere than anybody else though.

Lordprinceps

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 5:18 am

Creeping Dementia wrote:How many more races are going to be in the game (per Dave)? 8. We have 5, need 3 more, and Dave has laid out possibilities for 2-3 more races, probably 2, leaving him room for one more if the story evolves in a way he didn't foresee.

Thoughts?

The one thing that I'm wondering is how the resistance will remain part of the setting; the reconquest will succeed, there's pretty much no doubt about it (even if it takes until phase 10!), and at that point the allied resistance will have been assimilated into the UCM, and the feral resistance would have either been civilized (and assimilated) or wiped out.
How can the resistance, as an army, stay in the story (and thus in the game), or are they doomed to eventually being squatted?

EDIT: Or rather, I shouldn't say that the reconquest WILL succeed totally, but it's likely that it will partially succeed in such a way that the resistance possibly become irrelevant.

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 11:13 am

Lordprinceps wrote:
Creeping Dementia wrote:How many more races are going to be in the game (per Dave)? 8. We have 5, need 3 more, and Dave has laid out possibilities for 2-3 more races, probably 2, leaving him room for one more if the story evolves in a way he didn't foresee.

Thoughts?

The one thing that I'm wondering is how the resistance will remain part of the setting; the reconquest will succeed, there's pretty much no doubt about it (even if it takes until phase 10!), and at that point the allied resistance will have been assimilated into the UCM, and the feral resistance would have either been civilized (and assimilated) or wiped out.
How can the resistance, as an army, stay in the story (and thus in the game), or are they doomed to eventually being squatted?

EDIT: Or rather, I shouldn't say that the reconquest WILL succeed totally, but it's likely that it will partially succeed in such a way that the resistance possibly become irrelevant.

why should that be the case...? with the scourge invading the colonies there is every reason to expect a long stalemate stnadoff of continous fighting going on for quite some time. i think the Reconquest will grind to a halt and therefore all armeis will be still viable.

Yvain

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 2:18 pm

I think what we are going to see is the UCM taking most cradle worlds. Earth will still be a Scourge stronghold and a few planets will have significant scourge presences. The main battle will shift to scourge (non human) and UCM owned worlds (cradle and some colony) with resistance forces being the vanguard on some planets for the stretched thin UCM. This will keep both the Scourge and Resistance in the fight long term.

What will happen after is the widening of the campaign to a second front. Right now Shaltari and PHR are still kind of on the back burner. They need to be brought into the fight. I suspect the PHR are going to be the ones to bring it to a head by goading the scourge into direct contact with the shaltari. It might even be possible the PHR wanted the UCM to wait until they baited the Scourge into attacking them in the first place. This will put all the factions into conflict and let the story move forward while still giving reasons for fighting.

This will set up the arrival of new factions as well. The PHR white sphere creators will eventually show up and then we will know how grey the PHR is on the morality scale. The other will be remnants of conquered scourge or one that was not attacked because the scourge didn't take the bait.

Lordprinceps

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Darios wrote:why should that be the case...? with the scourge invading the colonies there is every reason to expect a long stalemate stnadoff of continous fighting going on for quite some time. i think the Reconquest will grind to a halt and therefore all armeis will be still viable.

Possibly, but long standoffs can also turn into permanent standoffs to preserve the status quo.

Yvain wrote:I think what ... take the bait.

This sounds much better, with the standoff not being because the Scourge and UCM are evenly matched, but because the PHR and Shaltari start taking a much more active role, with whatever new factions and races will be introduced later on.

Creeping Dementia

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 4:04 pm

There are a couple things I think could happen at some point to involve the PHR and Shaltari more.

1) a PHR system gets invaded. Boom. All of a sudden we know a million times more about PHR background than we currently do.

2) a logical continuation of #1, a Shaltari world is found and invaded. Could it ever happen? I think so. The fluff states something like any race/ship that stumbles on a Shaltari planet is instantly eliminated etc etc. That just sounds like propaganda, probably spread and perpetuated by the Shaltari themselves. What's the best defense? Make your opponents too afraid to even think about attacking. However IMO its only a matter of time before the Shaltari piss off a faction enough to make them throw caution to the wind and actually try to find/attack the Shaltari at home. Don't know who it would be, but it could happen. Maybe a currently unknown faction with an axe to grind against the Shaltari takes advantage of their distraction in the Cradle and attacks. Obviously 100% speculation.
Besides, saying 'a Shaltari home world could never be successfully attacked' is just begging to become a major plot twist in a future expansion where the impossible becomes possible.

3) Something very important may be on or around Shangri-la or Tlalocan (spelling?) and is uncovered by the PHR, making the system a new focal point in the war. Maybe it even attracts the next faction there too.

BlackLegion

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Well humans are the third attempt of the Shaltari to destroy the Scourge? Who where they? The Lizardmen certainly and which others? The Destroyers/Evicerators?

That the Scourge now have invaded Ferrum, the main production facility for tanks, is no wonder. The fall of Ferrum would be a major blow against the UCM military power. The question is: how did the Scourge find the Colonies? Or did they know for longer but didn't care as they didn't care about the Resistance?

The "civilwar" of the Shaltari is also interesting.

Oh, and it might be very possible that the Cradle Worlds are not the only Scourge-held systems.

Also: On the "thread to all life" thing. Maybe it wasn't the Scourge the White Sphere warned for?

Creeping Dementia

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 3:19 am

Humans were the third attempt, but it's pretty safe to assume the Scourge have conquered more than just the races the Shaltari have thrown at them. I think the Shaltari have only tried throwing fairly strong races at the Scourge as leading them to weak ones would only give the Scourge a bunch of easy hosts. The Scourge have probably found some races on their own, its tough to say which ones.

Interesting thought on the White Sphere. The proximity of the Scourge invasion leads us to think the original warning from the white sphere was about the Scourge. But it's possible the Sphere didn't know about the Scourge invasion and was actually trying to prepare humanity for a larger, more distant, threat that is now coming.

Edit* After rereading the White Sphere's warning, it does seem like it was referring to the Scourge with the specific timing mentioned. It's not impossible it was talking about a different race, but does seem most likely it was talking about the Scourge.
Last edited by Creeping Dementia on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Background Discussion