It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Scourge Origin Theory

Discuss all things related to the Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander background
  • Author

ElectricPaladin

Scourge Origin Theory

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 6:57 pm

I have a theory that the Shaltari are responsible for the Scourge. I don't just mean the Scourge invasion, I mean that they are literally responsible for the existence of the brain slug species.

Think about it. You're an immortal space hedgehog and you'd like to find a species to fight and die for you. Trouble is, the species you find and uplift are either so dumb that they aren't all that useful (ie. Pungari) or end up wanting freedom, self determination, and other pesky things. What's a space hedgehog to do?

Then, you wander across some horrible sludge planet that's home to a species of relatively intelligent telepathic brain slugs. They don't have any technology to speak of, because they're stuck with the host bodies they can find on their horrible sludge parent, but they're actually pretty awesome otherwise.

So, you get your space hedgehog scientists to go to work on them. Boost their intelligence a little, enhance their telepathic abilities so they can communicate with each other, and build in something to make them obedient. If you're smart, you also make them allergic to Shaltari brains. Now... bingo! The next time you encounter a species with some useful technology, cultural capacity, or physique, all you have to do is introduce a few of their leaders to your pet brain slugs, and you're set. Instant slaves.

But something goes wrong. Maybe you weren't smart enough to make them allergic to Shaltari brains and they take over the gene lab where you were working on them. Maybe whatever you did to make them obedient didn't "take." Whatever happens, they get loose, and they're really mad.

So, when you find a race of adaptable, plucky, adventurous bipeds, you steer them into the path of your former slaves...

Just a thought.
Space Hedgehog

Dheran

Re: Scourge Origin Theory

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 1:07 am

Their backstory certainly suggests "mind control experiment gone bad" kind of origin.

In DFC their ships are really old - UCMF is fighting ships that were old at the time of invasion of Earth and the cradle worlds. There aren't new ships sighted, which might suggest Scourge does not have the capability to build them and they are leftovers from the origin.
However I don't think Scourge is a failed Shaltari experiment. Rather than that, it might be possible that the fifth DFC race is coming to clean up the laboratory incident and they are the true evil overlords, while Scourge is just trying to find its place under the sun.

ElectricPaladin

Re: Scourge Origin Theory

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 2:26 am

Dheran wrote:However I don't think Scourge is a failed Shaltari experiment. Rather than that, it might be possible that the fifth DFC race is coming to clean up the laboratory incident and they are the true evil overlords, while Scourge is just trying to find its place under the sun.

We were talking about this at my FLGS a while ago, the possibility that just as the Resistance is basically a DZC faction, the fifth "threat to all life" army could be just DZC. That would line up with their being a threat to all life, if they were radically different in such a way that they didn't want to TAKE planets, just DESTROY them.

That said, I was struck by some of the similarities between the design of Shaltari and Scourge ships. I could see how maybe the Scourge ships were designed in imitation of the Shaltari...
Space Hedgehog

Return to Background Discussion