• Author

BlackLegion

Re: DFlist, a fleetbuilder for DFC

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 12:13 pm

You are the man :D

Matti

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 12:28 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:It's a very nice tool, and I really appreciate you putting in the effort. So far the only thing I noticed in terms of a potential "bug" is that sometimes after adding something, either a class to a BG or another ship to a Group, it would hang and the spinning gear would go on forever. A page refresh usually cleared this away, and what I was trying to add showed up on the resulting refreshed page, but not always. It never crashed, tho, so that's great, and it never lost what had been there. Very robust in that regard, it just seemed to get hung up rather easily.

Robust is indeed the name of the game. Every action you take is synced with the server instantly. The eternal spinning gear means that no response came back from the server (as any response at all removes it). This should be a rare occurrence, but from your account it's not rare enough, so I'll go debugging and see if I can make it a little more robust.

J.D. Welch wrote:Would love to see the ability to produce PDFs of our fleets, including a set of singular stat lines for each unique ship taken in the list, a la FFoR's output. A complete list of ships with a total count of each would also be great -- I find this feature of the FFoR output very helpful when setting up for a game, as I can see at a glance how many of each unit I have to pull out of my bag.

PDF output is coming (not quickly, but it is) and the different outputs you mention are definitely in the same ballpark as what I have planned (both for PDF and text, which will arrive sooner).

J.D. Welch wrote:It's pretty intuitive to learn, so hats off for that. I'm an information junkie, so from my perspective don't be afraid to put a bit more information in each section -- not everything needs to be minimalistic! ;)

Thanks, intuitive was what I was going for :) More info is tricky, as that has an inverse correlation with intuitiveness, clarity and visual calm, but I'm definitely looking to add more info if I can figure out ways to do it without compromising the ease of use (and I have, in fact, added some more info to the top two panes yesterday evening)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Matti wrote:...(and I have, in fact, added some more info to the top two panes yesterday evening)

Ah, excellent. Need to check that out tonight.

Thanks again! :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Nemo

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Amazing work man, well done! :)

Lordprinceps

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 10:47 pm

Glad to see such prompt updates!

Some other things that'd be nice to see in the "summary header" section, I'd think, are:

-current Admiral value

-dropship count and bulk lander count

-breakdown of launch cap by fighters/bombers and torpedoes

-(possibly, not very necessary but might be neat) an expansion of the "# of ships by tonnage" value breaking it down by subtype; X frigates, Y light cruisers, Z battlecruisers, etc... This could probably be rolled into the eventual list functionality.

Otherwise, I'm definitely enjoying using it, great work so far!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 4:56 am

J.D. Welch wrote:
Matti wrote:...(and I have, in fact, added some more info to the top two panes yesterday evening)

I like the added info, and that the BGs now group by type!

Although, I wouldn't have two columns of them, one across worked fine. It's a little disconcerting/disjointed when they don't line up, like in mine: http://dflist.com/s/#/share/585fe821ae1f

But keep up the good work!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

ranger101

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Great Job!!!!!!!

Why not mark special abilities?

Why not attach stats for fighters & bombers?

Iexpect this will really look great when it can be printed out.

Cheers :)

Major Awesome

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Wow, man, this is fantastic. Excellent program, thank you for all your hard work on this!
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Matti

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:

I like the added info, and that the BGs now group by type!

Although, I wouldn't have two columns of them, one across worked fine. It's a little disconcerting/disjointed when they don't line up, like in mine: http://dflist.com/s/#/share/585fe821ae1f

But keep up the good work!

There were always two columns at larger resolutions :) The only thing that is different now is the it sorts left-right, then top-bottom instead of top-bottom, then left-right.

You, however, have stumbled upon a bug: the public lists didn't get the new sorting. That is fixed now, and your list now lines up better :)

nekomata

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 am

Nice work so far!

One bug I've noticed so far though: When you have ship stats showing, and add an extra ship, the new ship's stats don't show unless you toggle ship stats off an back on again.

Also, a (low priority) feature request: There's times whilst playing around with lists that I find I've run out of a certain battlegroup type, but realise that one of the battlegroups would be legal as a different battlegroup type. It would be nice if you could switch battlegroup types without having to delete and recreate them.
PreviousNext

Return to DFlist Fleet Builder