It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

dread2005

Hawk Talon

Re: Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

PostThu May 18, 2017 10:37 am

shuul wrote:There is no a single word in the rulebook that you receive AV1 at anytime, the only time it is mentioned is in following sentence:

"If your admiral is killed, the player may use AV of 1 and must immediately discard command cards of their choice down to 1"

Can you show me how can I get AV1 without previously owning and admiral?
What you think is correct doesn't means that it is correct.
This needs to be FAQed.

well here comes the its not RAW ;->

RAI = by the way tell me where it says that i don't own a AV 1 ?!

errata 1.1
Q. Admirals add their AV to several different rolls in game. Does that apply if they are not deployed yet, have moved off the board or are destroyed? A. Admirals only add their AV to any roll when they are alive and present on the board. If they have yet to be deployed, have moved off the board or have been destroyed you do not add their AV to any rolls, unless specifically stated in a special rule. If your Admiral is not on the table for any reason then your AV counts as 1. For example, this means you may draw 1 Command Card on turn 1 if your Admiral is not on the table during the Planning Phase.

RAR = so well my Admiral is fighting at another planet! ;-P
you know enterprise? if the captain is not onboard the first lieutenant has the Command Chair!
there always be someone in the command Chair you know! ,-P

but well lets see a AV 1 is not a Commander, because its not present or attached to any Ship in the fleet!
ergo AV 1 is not a Admiral/Commander, its only a Fleet-wide rule, that applies always if there is no Commander!
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

shuul

PostThu May 18, 2017 11:11 am

dread2005 wrote:well here comes the its not RAW ;->

RAI = by the way tell me where it says that i don't own a AV 1 ?!

errata 1.1
Q. Admirals add their AV to several different rolls in game. Does that apply if they are not deployed yet, have moved off the board or are destroyed? A. Admirals only add their AV to any roll when they are alive and present on the board. If they have yet to be deployed, have moved off the board or have been destroyed you do not add their AV to any rolls, unless specifically stated in a special rule. If your Admiral is not on the table for any reason then your AV counts as 1. For example, this means you may draw 1 Command Card on turn 1 if your Admiral is not on the table during the Planning Phase.

RAR = so well my Admiral is fighting at another planet! ;-P
you know enterprise? if the captain is not onboard the first lieutenant has the Command Chair!
there always be someone in the command Chair you know! ,-P

but well lets see a AV 1 is not a Commander, because its not present or attached to any Ship in the fleet!
ergo AV 1 is not a Admiral/Commander, its only a Fleet-wide rule, that applies always if there is no Commander!

Your answer does not covers the question.
Please re-read the answer from errata that you provided, it implies that I still own an admiral (have it in list), and he is just not on the table. It does not covers the situation when there is no admiral at all.
And there is no "Fleet-wide rule" like that. Or can you show it to me?

edit: btw, RAR and RAI does not work in tournaments and any competitive environments. Rules must be written clear without multiple ways to read them. If its impossible, like in our case, FAQ is mandatory. That is the main reason why I'm so pushy, sorry.

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 11:25 am

@shuul

This says that AV 1 is not treat end as a Admiral! and there is no Admiral that has AV 1 look at Faction Assets....

If your Admiral is not on the table for any reason then your AV counts as 1.

I dont care how you call it, i say AV 1 is not a Admiral! thats all ;-)
and so i says i dont need a Admiral to have AV 1

maybe we stop here

ill not convince you and you will not convince me... ;-P

shuul

PostThu May 18, 2017 11:39 am

dread2005 wrote:@shuul

This says that AV 1 is not treat end as a Admiral! and there is no Admiral that has AV 1 look at Faction Assets....

If your Admiral is not on the table for any reason then your AV counts as 1.

I dont care how you call it, i say AV 1 is not a Admiral! thats all ;-)
and so i says i dont need a Admiral to have AV 1

maybe we stop here

ill not convince you and you will not convince me... ;-P

but.. you are taking one sentence out of context. You cant do that if you want to proof that you are correct.
As I already told you, the whole errata answer implies that I own an Admiral.

Kemble

PostThu May 18, 2017 11:51 am

dread2005 wrote:stuff

The FAQ quote
If your Admiral is not on the table for any reason then your AV counts as 1. For example, this means you may draw 1 Command Card on turn 1 if your Admiral is not on the table during the Planning Phase.

I'm happy to take that as meaning if you didnt pay for an admiral then you are AV1. Even tho thats not exactly what it says, its likely to be the meaning of hawk. In my experience Hawk FAQs usually side with the expected RAI and not RAW.

Aaaand with command cards out, I expect it to be rather rare for people to not pay for at least AV2 to stack their free AV upgrades with. I mean its the cost of a single corvette.

I think its yet another case of whoever wrote the rules, writing the rules for themselves, and not for Jon Snow.

It dosnt help that the dropfleet book clearly has a mix of rules in it from at least 2 revisions of the ruleset.

LiamK

PostThu May 18, 2017 1:55 pm

What would you guys like to see this ruled as?

Because currently rules as written, you cannot purchase an Level 1 Admiral, so cannot upgrade them in a larger ship. Also you do not currently start the game with 1 AV but you do for the purposes of Command Cards.

shuul

PostThu May 18, 2017 2:09 pm

So, if I will not buy an admiral to the list, I will still be able to draw 1 card and use it?

Also you do not currently start the game with 1 AV but you do for the purposes of Command Cards.

There is no such wording in the rules. That is the main question, as rules do not state that you will have AV1 without purchasing admiral.
As written you will get AV1 only if you HAD an admiral and he was killed later during the game.
Last edited by shuul on Thu May 18, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:What would you guys like to see this ruled as?

Because currently rules as written, you cannot purchase an Level 1 Admiral, so cannot upgrade them in a larger ship. Also you do not currently start the game with 1 AV but you do for the purposes of Command Cards.

+ this is what i wanted to say all the Time!

AV 1 has nothing to do with a Commander...

As Liam Said its fine. Maybe do someware a sentence like this at the Command Cards section.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

As stated before Liam, the issue isn't about AV 1 Admiral it is that there is nothing in the rules that support your statement of you starting the game with AV1 unless you have purchased an Admiral. If a player does not choose an AV2+ Admiral from the roster then currently they never get any cards as written.

DZC has a line where if no Commanders are present you count as CV1 and gain one card. No Commander present is very different from if your Admiral is dead or off the board.

If that same line is used for Dropfleet then there is no issue at all. In any event I highly doubt anyone will not spend the 20pts for an Admiral once they have access to the cards anyway but this thread isn't always about things that happen everyday, just things that can cause issues once and awhile and are easily fixed.

J.D. I'm not planning any trips south of the boarder anytime soon either but that doesn't mean we might not cross paths at a larger event. Its really for those situations that I am always pushing so hard for these things to be resolved in writing. We can read the forums all day and have Dave go on record with his intent for a rule but until it is in an official Hawk document it isn't real. When someone shows up from New Zeland to play with us and disagrees with our rules and has a rulebook and FAQ/Errata to back him up and we have "well Dave said something sometime that no one can confirm..." which way should the Judge rule it? Say you did make it to Calgary, you'd have to get used to Silent Running being black not blue on the dial and measure to Clusters not Sectors for landing troops. Those things are not in the rules and you could argue we are playing the game wrong (which we are!) but that is no different from your group saying Voidgates can't depoly after Max Thrusting prior to those changes being made real.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Actually I just want the last sentence to be "official" as some people deny anything that is not explicitly written down. So write it down so that we can all be happy again.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017
PreviousNext

Return to Rules Queries