It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:31 am

A question to tornement players.

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Mike Mee

A question to tornement players.

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 6:04 pm

How important is a high level commander in your list? I see the benefits, but I also see 150+ points that I could spend on Cyclones or A Hellhog.

Is it really that important for Tourney play?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: A question to tornement players.

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 5:53 am

Depends on your army. Since I know you play Resistance, I'll say, not that much, but you'll want at least a low-level Commander to give you access to some command cards, and a little help with Initiative rolls. But if it means the difference between a Commander and some Cyclones, having just seen your list, I'd say take the damned Cyclones, Mr. Mee!!!!
:lol:
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Coste

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:52 am

I have found it pretty important to have some type of commander, but it of course depends on your play style and army list. I alsmost always try to field some fleet for my UCM so many cards come to use. Last tournament, the Ace in the making saved me twice. A games, having a lvl 2 commander, facing a lvl 4 cost me the initiative at crutial states.
But of course both above are circumstances you could play yourself around.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 12:27 am

I play UCM and Scourge and while I haven't used my Scouge in a tournament my list is pretty model locked so wont change. In both cases I like to have 3 Command Cards. More than that seems to rely on luck of the draw vs troops on the table. Sure more cards makes the luck even out a bit but even then I still need the exact card at the exact time to really make it worth while. I don't like cycling cards either for that reason since many times I discard a card I could really have used 2 turns down the line. All my experience says that cards are more random than dice so I'd rather have more troops to roll dice with!

Drcox

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 5:53 am

I tend to go quite low with my Shaltari lvl 2, maybe 3. For PHR, the cards are good so like 3 or 4. Most scourge players seem to go 4 or 5 in my experience whilst UCM and resistance tend to be 2/3

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:05 pm

I would recommend taking a level 2 Commander then the rest of the army and see if there are points left over to upgrade your commander. It is always a gamble to take a Commander over a squad.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

Egge

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 pm

I think it depends on playstyle and army. Many of the players have a lower level of commander but you tend to see a balance of low and high level commanders in top 10 at invasion. Low level and high level commanders have won.

My opinion of what is usually used?
UCM - Low level - 2 or 3
Scourge - High level. 4 or 5. Scourge have only won Invasion once but then it was with a Lvl 5 commander.
PHR - Won invasion with low level. But can use a higher level as the cards are still strong.
Shaltari - Low level - 2 or 3.
Resistance - Medium to high - 3 or 4.

But you will find that you can take any if your playstyle prefer it. Hope it helps.

Mike Mee

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 pm

I always taken a level 3 commander in games I have played, but I've only played friendly games really. Its interesting to see all the different opinions on this subject. It's givin me some things to think about.

Gonefishing

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 pm

I really like the Command Cards, and I would love to play with a high level commander as the Initiative bonus can also be invaluable at times....

But - I have enough problems finding the points I need to fit the things I want into a list, so it pretty much never happens. The cards and initiative bonus can be great, but are also either highly based on luck of the draw or extremely situational, while another unit that fits into my tactics, or being able to afford Sirens instead of the extremely inaptly named Immortals is always useful! - So I normally end up with a level 2/3 Commander at the highest ( and most of the time its the Trusty "War advisor" that hits the table)

Stompzilla

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 am

Lorn wrote:I would recommend taking a level 2 Commander then the rest of the army and see if there are points left over to upgrade your commander. It is always a gamble to take a Commander over a squad.

This. More guns are MUCH more reliable than the CHANCE for a decent card.
Next

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas