It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:12 am

New Fluff? New Stuff?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Novus

Re: New Fluff? New Stuff?

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 5:53 pm

As Cameron and I discussed this weekend, I was thinking something like this regarding a demo tweak: only units with DEMO ability can crit a building. Example: 6 Apollos can only ever do a max of 6dp because they don't have the DEMO ability on their guns. But, DEMO units can crit (1-2 DP, depending on the roll) and then any DEMO multipliers are factored in. Right now, DEMO units are not special as you can achieve the same results (or better, sometimes) as well as remain more versatile on the table with a swarm of non-DEMO units. Heck, as DEMO is now, flame units really are unnecessary.

Also, Falling Masonry could be dropped to E5 or even E4. But, this may not be necessary if DEMO is toned down on the front end.

killionaire

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 am

Masonry should be more granular instead of every hit.

Like, for every 5 points dealt, on that 5th point, issue a big roll that can kill multiple infantry. That'd represent a whole floor collapsing or something. Like: Unit suffers 1d6 E5 hits.

Klarg1

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:57 pm

killionaire wrote:Masonry should be more granular instead of every hit.

Like, for every 5 points dealt, on that 5th point, issue a big roll that can kill multiple infantry. That'd represent a whole floor collapsing or something. Like: Unit suffers 1d6 E5 hits.

I kind of thought that's what the 5+ chance for a hit to occur was for. 2/3 of the time, the building stands firm, but every now and again, something big breaks loose, and hurst someone. (More often when the building is ready to collapse.)
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

Skylifter-1000

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm

I think demo is a little overpowered tactically, but not so much that it needs a rules change.

Overall I think a second edition isn't a good idea. There are already rather few players in my area and probably many other places, and a new edition would just make people stop playing because they wouldn't want to invest in buying another must-have-book for a game they rarely get to play anyway.

A few more FAQs and maybe a 'revised edition' where all the rules and all the units are in one book with all the FAQs built in, but without any fluff. That way, new players need to buy just one book to have all the info they need, and they could still sell the other books since they have the fluff - but getting into the game would be easier.

Egge

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 pm

The main issue really comes from drive on demo. Removing the guaranteed shooting first turn could help. Say a unit need to roll a 4+ to be able to enter and shoot turn 1. Or automatically turn 1 without shooting. Makes it more of a choice. It is not hard to motivate that it takes a turn for units to identify targets instead of firing indiscriminatly when arriving to a battlefield.

Gauntlet

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just ban shooting during walk on entirely... could allow units to walk on with full movement as slight compensation.

Its not like walk-on shooting is what the game is ostensibly "about" ... with the name like Dropzone...

Novus

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 am

I just think demo as a game mechanic is just too effective. It's a special ability that is not very special (you can be just as effective with many/massed cheaper units than one dedicated and typically more expensive, demo squad), it's more effective at killing troops over the course of an entire game than flame weapons ever have been, and is really a boring tactic to play against (I can't count how many games of Demo-zone Commander I've been on the other side of).

Besides, walk on isn't really a big problem anymore now that mid-game scoring and critical locations exist. And outright banning walk on makes no sense.

Pirannha

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Heading off in a different direction to ask for more fluff as in a novel or collection of short stories. Seems that the most successful games have large collections of fiction. What attracted me to the game was the setting and storyline. I would like to see more of that. The models are great and the game is fun but what drives me (and I'm sure other players) is passion and its hard to be passionate about rules and FAQ's. DzC needs a hero or heroes to draw in the recreational player. Who hasn't wanted to be an Ultramarine or one of Jamie Wolf's Dragoons? Just MHO.

Gauntlet

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Novus wrote:Besides, walk on isn't really a big problem anymore now that mid-game scoring and critical locations exist. And outright banning walk on makes no sense.

Just to clarify, I suggested banning the ability to shoot when walking on, not walking on in and of itself.

Novus

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Ahhhhh, my bad. :D
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion