It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:56 am

Getting the most out of the UCM fleet box

Help your brothers take back the Cradle Worlds!
  • Author

Beta

Getting the most out of the UCM fleet box

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi there,

I haven't started playing yet (only watched a few games), but I'm planning on getting the UCM fleet box to start things up.
I've read the rules, looked through the forums and did some internet research, but I'm totally stranded on what to build with the box contents.

- Which ships and how much should I build?
- Which ships should (and can) be magnetized?

I want to get the most our of this box (since I don't know when I'll be able to expand the collection) and have a fait amount of playstyle options (not being cornered into one way of playing UCM).

Any suggestions?

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: Getting the most out of the UCM fleet box

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Do you want completive builds or causal ones?

The latter is easy build what you like, the former is easy too, pick your BTL Cruiser so the Berlin or New Cairo. At least that is a decent start for the Cruisers, in regards to Frigates all the Strike Carriers (New Orleans) you can get the rest is mostly up to your taste though I personally dislike the Toulon.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

Lordprinceps

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Assuming you mean the Battlefleet and not the Starter Fleet, there's a few general things I'd recommend, that will fit into a great many lists.

For the battlecruiser, I'd heavily recommend the Perth. It's just far, far more useful than the Johannesburg in my opinion, far more efficient for its cost, and it's loadout is useful against a great many different targets.

Two (or even three) of the cruisers as New Cairo's, and one as a San Francisco

Four frigates made as New Orleans, and the remaining four made as some combination of Lima and Jakarta (either 4/0 or 2/2)

That leaves three-four cruisers (light, normal, or heavy) to change as you see fit, while giving a solid, high-damage, high-utility core with the Perth, Cairos, and Limas. The Jakartas aren't really necessary, but they're very useful if you decide to not use any Seattles, but it really depends on what the local meta is in terms of CAW/launch assets.
The 4x New Orleans and 1x Sanfran provide a decent core landing capacity for casual games, but you'd likely want to grab at least either 2x more New Orleans or 1x more Sanfran for more competitive games, like tournaments, if you're interested in those.

_ghost_

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 pm

i'd suggest using the Perth as Battle Cruiser

Build 2 Light Cruiser, 2 Medium Cruiser and2 Medium Cruiser Cruiser without glued upper wings use magnets for the weapons. Its easy with UCM.
This gives you a great number of list possibilities while not overdoing the magnet act.

For the frigates. Glue the max New Orleans and rely on snap fit for the other frigate types. There u won't need magnets.

ghostgundam1

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm

I agree, if you are going to be playing competitively, then you need to dedicate a good amount of frigates to New Orleans and at least one San Francisco. I like the Seattle myself and tend to bring at least 2 to help with point defense or if your opponent didn't bring drop then they make great harassers with their bombers and 6400 mass drivers. Other than that New Carios are always a good choice for light cruisers. If you are playing casual then don't completely build your ships and try out what you want by proxy before you decide.

Beta

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

Lordprinceps wrote:Assuming you mean the Battlefleet and not the Starter Fleet, there's a few general things I'd recommend, that will fit into a great many lists.

Yes I've meant the Battlefleet.

Thank you all for your answers. This wa a lot of help.

I don't plan on participating in tournaments and there isn't really a meta here (only a hand full of people from our gaming club playing from time to time).
So no tournament lists, but a bit more than just casual...let's say competitive casual :D

I've had a look at the ships again and considering your recommendations I'm going for this:

1x Perth
4x New Cairo
1x Seattle
1x San Francisco
4x New Orleans
2x Lima
2x Lima/Jakarta (not glued, so I can switch)
(3x Santiago)

After that I'll get the recommendet additional New Orleans (2) another SanFran and another Seattle (followed by Madrids).

Lordprinceps

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

That looks like a pretty solid starting list to me! You've even got enough points left over for an AV5 admiral in a 1250 point game, which while not all that important with only 3 launch assets, is still pretty useful.

Return to UCM - Fleet Lists and Tactics